Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

having digital dash display issues w/ 01 ss

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Default having digital dash display issues w/ 01 ss

Hi guys been a long time since I've been here, but I would like to get am opinion on a issue I'm having with my 01 ss. It seems everytime my headlights go on automatically or manually, it's completely shutting off the digital displays in my dash making it impossible to see how many km' or miles in some parts I've put on my car and also extremely important, my speedometer unless I drive around using the lamp from my rear view mirror which is heaty as hell driving by cops, also the display on my radio completely dims out too. Again this issue only happens when my headlights come on, during the day the displays are full boar. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I love my monte but it's been a struggle keeping my silver mistress on the road just glad gm covered the ignition issue a few months ago almost 15 years after my car was released, and getting rid my car of any dex cool coolant and replacing almost every part that crap went through was really appreciated especially when nothing was cover for that fiasco

Old 01-25-2015, 07:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SLY_Showtime
Hi guys been a long time since I've been here, but I would like to get am opinion on a issue I'm having with my 01 ss. It seems everytime my headlights go on automatically or manually, it's completely shutting off the digital displays in my dash making it impossible to see how many km' or miles in some parts I've put on my car and also extremely important, my speedometer unless I drive around using the lamp from my rear view mirror which is heaty as hell driving by cops, also the display on my radio completely dims out too. Again this issue only happens when my headlights come on, during the day the displays are full boar. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I love my monte but it's been a struggle keeping my silver mistress on the road just glad gm covered the ignition issue a few months ago almost 15 years after my car was released, and getting rid my car of any dex cool coolant and replacing almost every part that crap went through was really appreciated especially when nothing was cover for that fiasco

Sorry about your woes Showtime. I am wondering if your dash lights are "dimming" all the way down when your lights come on. Check your headlight switch and play with the interior light dimmer, maybe it is malfunctioning.

Last edited by GTHSS; 01-25-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Yea they are, I think it's the sensor on the dash that sends the message to the car it's dark out, cause covered it up with a piece of cardboard moments ago in the daylight, walla moment headlights on dash becomes on readable, lol bad enough had the pass lock issued fixed twice each time wasn't cheap, now more electrical gremlins. Thanks Shane

Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 AM

could be an easy fix-they make little rubber caps to put over that sensor so the car ALWAYS thinks it's dark out...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be your headlight switch is going bad since I am pretty sure that controls all of those lights that you mention are going off. I would check that first.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
It could be your headlight switch is going bad since I am pretty sure that controls all of those lights that you mention are going off. I would check that first.
Actually your 100% right zach, it was a dim light headlighr sensor switch or some crap I was coming off a graveyard shift when I took it in this morning so wasn't fully alert what the mechanic was telling me lol he could've been messing with me for all I know then charged me 450$.....but few of my buddies that wrench quite a bit all said similar affects to u and the mechanic I used