Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Engine won't turn over. What else could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Default Engine won't turn over. What else could it be?

👋New to the forum!! I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8. This car has been good to me for the past 4 and a half years but lately I have been replacing everything on it!! I just had the a/c compressor replaced and two days after, while driving my car shut off. Tried to crank it back up but my engine wouldn't turn over. My lights on my dash work.

The next day I went outside to crank it and it started and stayed on for 3 seconds and shut back off. I had a mechanic come over and he got it started up and moved it in a secure location. Water and oil were mixing and I was told I had a blown head gasket. Well I bought a gasket set and had them changed and I'm still in the same situation....car's still not running. I was told that I need to replace my upper intake manifold and upper intake plenum and that will fix the problem. Can anyone give me any input?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:09 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sounds like you mechanic is taking you and your money for a ride!!!! If they really changed your head gasket, your other gasket should have been changed during its reassembly!!
Since they took it to a "secure location," they are probably going to be sending you a bill for storage. And as long as you owe them money, they can keep it stored as collateral and also keep adding storage fees.
If I were you, I would pay these people in full immediately and get someone to help you get your Monte in more honest hands!!! Just my opinion.
BTW Welcome to the forum!!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:53 PM

anytime you get your head gaskets changed they should change every gasket that comes off,and yes I had a shop charge me for something I didnt know about and when I went to pay I didnt have enough so I ended up paying close to $120 for it to sit there for a week.

mechanics are sneaky,especially if its privately owned,if they need the money they will get it out of you

how long has it been since a good tune up? wires,plugs,air filter ect. I would start with the small things first

Old 06-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Lady. The "no crank" problem you've described could be caused by a condition called "Hydrolock". Water can leak through gaskets into the cylinder creating hydraulic pressure that prevents the piston from moving. It is possible for the plastic upper intake manifold to crack or even explode (Saw this happen) due to backpressure caused by hydrolock, but FYI the upper intake manifold and upper plenum are the same thing. Perhaps they meant the lower intake manifold gasket and the upper intake manifold. These would not likely be responsible for a leak that would result in hydrolock, but a cylinder head gasket leak could. See link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock The problem could also very well be electrical, like a sensor. Keep us posted. Hope this helps.

Last edited by plumbob; 06-07-2015 at 12:09 AM.