Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte ss won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Default 2001 Monte ss won't turn over

I get a faint clicking sound nothing happens. New battery, all power users shutdown: radio, lights, etc. No flashing security light. My system does not have a chip in the key.
I have no way to jack up the vehicle. Is there a wire or terminal accessible on top of engine that I can jumper a 12 Volt source to send power to test the starter solenoid?

thanks
Gerald Steingruber

Old 05-22-2015, 03:05 PM

im pretty sure it would be the starter,usually when you replace a new battery or alternator it kills an old starter,im not sure how to test them unless you take it off and take it to autozone,the car should have a small jack with the spare tire,my stepdad took a screwdriver and touched the two starter terminals together while I turned the key to get the starter to turn over but id be very careful about doing that,if you have to buy a starter go ahead and get a lifetime warranty on them its worth it

Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM

I would like to test the ignition switch with my multi meter without lifting the car. Is there access to the red wire that goes to the starter solenoid on the top of the engine?

Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I remember correctly, the ignition wires are Yellow and Black to the ignition switch. At and rate, you can only get to them from under the dash. Be careful, you could set off you Pass Lock system if you hit inadvertently disconnect one of the wires!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Default test proceedure

1. Using a jack, raise the front of the vehicle and place it on jack stands.
2. Place your multimeter in Volts DC mode (you can also your an automotive 12 Volt Test Light).
3. Locate the S terminal of the starter motor starter motor and with the RED multimeter lead probe this terminal and hold it
there for the duration of this test.
The S terminal is the smaller of the three studs on the starter motor. To this stud, is attached the wire (circuit) that
delivers the Start (Crank) signal from the ignition switch
4. With the BLACK multimeter lead, touch a clean and rust-free spot on the engine or on the vehicle frame.
Here's my recommendation: Use a battery jump start cable to ground the BLACK multimeter lead to a clean ground point on the
engine from the top of the vehicle, because depending on how rusty and dirty the underneath of the vehicle... you may NOT be
able to find a clean and rust-free spot to ground the multimeter's BLACK lead.
5. Ask your helper to crank the engine.
Although the starter motor is not going to crank the engine, the purpose of this test is to verify the presence of the Crank
(Start) signal from the ignition switch.
6. Your multimeter is going to register one of two results: Either 10 to 12 Volts DC or no voltage at all.
If your multimeter registered 10 to 12 Volts: This is good, since it let's you know that the starter motor is getting a crank
signal from the ignition switch.

I was hoping I could access the the wire (circuit) wire without going below