Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2nd Gen ('73-'77): 77 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Default 77 won't turn over

So about a week ago my Monte died out on the road less than a mile from my house. I had just gotten it back from getting some work done on the carb to pass smog, and the voltmeter was reading curiously low. about 10 volts, but the engine turned over fine and I was on my merry way.

Went to the movies money, about a 20 min drive from my home, and accidentally left the head lights on watched the movie and two hours later, got back to my car and still managed to turn the engine over. I thanked God and began my drive home. about 18 minutes into the drive my monte decides to die out on me. head lights aren't dim, hazard lights came on, dash lights weren't dim, but engine wouldn't turn over. pushed it into a parking lot, got it jumped and it was fine, then shortly after she dies out again. push her into another parking lot and got to work. I figured it was the battery, ended up getting a new battery, nothing, starter stopped cranking and began to just do a single click. replaced the starter, car begins cranking again, but still won't turn over.

not a problem with the fuel pump i went out bought a couple gallons and poured some into the fuel tank, no turn over, tried pouring it directly into the... under the air filter, to no avail, i can't figure why for the life of me she won't turn over.

Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:36 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Are you running points or Hei distributor system?? and have you had the alternator tested?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 PM

I believe it's HEI it's an accel distributor, very recently replaced.
as for the alternator no I haven't, I've been planning on getting an aftermarket alternator anyways, but even if it was the alternator, when I put the brand new battery in, shouldn't it have had enough energy to at least turn over?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:37 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

yes you would think the new battery would have enough energy to turn it over but if you gave no spark lighting the fuel, it won't turn over. So battery is new and strong, the alternator is a non-issue at this point (not even sure why I mentioned it in the first place)and the starter is new and trying to work. So it's either spark or fuel. And since you put some fuel into the carb and it did not try to turn over, then I would guess it is something in the plugs/wires/cap/rotor/coil/distributor line.
Make sure your wiring is all securely attached to the distributor, especially check the two areas on the distributor shown by arrows.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
distributor.jpg (28.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 PM

Will do I'll check on it tomorrow and post an update since it's dark now

Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yes, please let us know. It really sounds like there is not a solid connection somewhere. I have personally had those connectors on the distributor not connect well and had very similar problems. Also make sure all of the wiring to and from the starter is secure. It really doesn't take much looseness, dirt, or corrosion to cause a bad connection.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Once again that wasnt quite it. It all wiring was secure. Everything was tight and snug, still nothing. What could i be missing here?

Old 08-21-2015, 01:44 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hmmm.
I would now start looking at the fuses and relays for anything ignition related that may be blown or corroded.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I'm thinking.. a bad body ground or a bad fuse able link at the positive terminal. Also check to be sure the 2 little wires at the starter are on the correct terminal... have you tried manually jumping the starter? Can you manually turn the motor over? (By hand) is the motor locked up? When you turn the key..does it make any sounds? (A click perhaps)

Old 08-21-2015, 02:20 PM

The starter motor sounds like its doing its job. The engine sounds like it wants to turn over when i turn the key, but she wont. None of the fuses are blown.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen ('73-'77): 77 won't turn over