Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rack and pinion job

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Default Rack and pinion job

Rack and pinion is bad and won't to fix before I get rims put on and was wondering how much am I looking at to spend ?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are you gonna do it yourself. The rack is about 200 or so depending where you get it. You might as well replace the outer tie-rod ends as well so figure another 40 or 50 bucks for those. Plus a front end alignment when finished so anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars for that. These are just rough estimates band would depend on your area. I did one on a minivan before and it wasn't that hard. good luck.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've done a steering rack on my '94 Grand Am, that's no picnic, but I've looked at it on the Monte and it looks like it's considerably easier then the Grand Am. Pop the outer tie rods out, disconnect the steering lines, free the steering column (might also require removal of the column, which is NOT hard) and it's held to the subframe by two bolts.

As Lou mentioned, might be a good time to replace the outer tie rods (as you will need an alignment when you are done).

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM

Did you do this job yet? Mine is gonna need a change?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by D_Spear
Did you do this job yet? Mine is gonna need a change?
It's not that hard of job to do., I did my 2001 Impala in about 3 Hrs. at home
But then again I work as an auto tech at usps..

Old 06-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I replaced the power steering pump because I stupidly listened to orielys guy that is a mechanic on the side. well the next day a;; my power steering had leaked out. I tried stp stop leak and it clogged everything and I siphoned it out put fresh fluid in and it ran smooth after about 3 hours the fluid was about half out. it leaks out with in a few hours and I have to put more fluid in , and I tried some sort of two part pwer steering fluid that claims to stop leaks ... the fluid stayed in until I started it then it leaked slowly out but eventually got quite, I drove to town and back and the whining started also whines when I accelerate. I would like to know how much I am looking at to get this fixed?? also I have a oil leak I had just replaced my starter and the old starter was covered in oil but I was a quart low about 3 weeks ago I put a quart in and ,holding and still full. but I am over due for a oi change by about 7000 miles... is this going to be pricy fix ? is it possible to ruin the car where it will not drive at all?
any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks in advance!!!!

Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by kittykitty
I replaced the power steering pump because I stupidly listened to orielys guy that is a mechanic on the side. well the next day a;; my power steering had leaked out. I tried stp stop leak and it clogged everything and I siphoned it out put fresh fluid in and it ran smooth after about 3 hours the fluid was about half out. it leaks out with in a few hours and I have to put more fluid in , and I tried some sort of two part pwer steering fluid that claims to stop leaks ... the fluid stayed in until I started it then it leaked slowly out but eventually got quite, I drove to town and back and the whining started also whines when I accelerate. I would like to know how much I am looking at to get this fixed?? also I have a oil leak I had just replaced my starter and the old starter was covered in oil but I was a quart low about 3 weeks ago I put a quart in and ,holding and still full. but I am over due for a oi change by about 7000 miles... is this going to be pricy fix ? is it possible to ruin the car where it will not drive at all?
any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks in advance!!!!
First, this would be best as it's own thread (instead of hi jack a different thread).

You'll need to talk to a mechanic for the cost of those repairs and it all depends what the issue really is.

Power steering can be a failed line, pump or rack. And some of the cost will depend on what year and engine is in the car. Af for your oil leak, if you say it's a 3400 engine and the starter is covered in oil, the first thing I would suspect (without properly inspecting) is a failed oil pressure switch. I've changed a few of those and a 3400 in a Monte makes it easier to do (more room). Cheap part, quick change and easy.