Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Electrical issues driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Default Electrical issues driving me crazy

My 02 ls is driving me crazy the turn signals would stop working and I would have to push the hazard button to get them to work. Then they would work like normal for a while so I changed the flasher yesterday now they both flash really fast and the left is a little faster than the right, but all my bulbs are good. The headlights didn't work so I changed the multiswitch now they are working, so far. The airbag light is on in the dash so I'm assuming the airbags wont work if I'm in a crash. The trac off and abs lights are on I ran the codes for abs and I get C1225,C1232, C1234, C1234 not sure why the last one comes up twice but it does. I got code P0401 but I'm sure that is a plugged egr port in the intake I'm going to check that out today. It doesn't start a lot of times the security light would come on and I would have to wait for about 10 min then it would start, so I took the ignition switch and key cylinder out of my grand am, that is on it's way to the junk yard, and put it in the Monte since I have never had an issue with the grand am starting. I did the relearn process and it started just fine probably 6 or 7 times then it made me go through the relearn again. Then it would start but the security light stayed on for 5 or 6 starts then it went out. I checked all the wiring under the dash that I can see by taking the kick plate off and all looks good. Now this morning I got stuck at the gas station for 10 min because it wouldn't start again, no security light this time just wouldn't crank over at all. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:58 PM

I would start with testing the battery, cleaning the battery connections and all the grounds on the car. Then I would clear all the codes and go from there. I believe a bad hazard switch could cause the problem with the blinkers. The no start and security issue could possibly be a bad BCM or maybe cluster. ABS codes could be bad left and right front wheel bearings or wiring harnesses. Are you able to scan the codes for air bags, cluster, and BCM?

Last edited by Bradford; 06-04-2018 at 07:23 AM.