Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Another NO start problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Default Another NO start problem

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo LS (3.4L V-6). It has had intermittent starting issues for the past year and a half (4 times) but has always restarted with some coaxing and waiting. I just finished installing struts and it failed to start. The lights on the dash light up and interior/exterior lights work, as well as radio and all other electrical devices. The starter will NOT turn, nor will it fire.

I have attempted jumpering the switch behind the shifter under the console with no results. I then purchased a ‘good’ used ignition switch from my local salvage yard. I first exchanged the key cylinder to the switch in the car and attempted the Passkey re-learn process. The security light would NOT turn off after the 10 minutes as the procedure says it is supposed to (could not find info regarding why it does not shut off as it should). I then replaced the ignition switch with the ‘good’ used one and returned the it’s original cylinder lock, still no start.

I then attempted the ‘bypass procedure’ by cutting the yellow wire at the switch and splicing a 5.6K Ohm resistor between the black and yellow wires (the side of the yellow wire going back into harness). The security light did not come on, but it also did NOT start. So, I removed the resistor jumper and reconnected the yellow wire. Now, when the key is moved from off/start/run the security light displays red battery, then flashes ‘security’ 6 times then returns to red battery for a couple of seconds and repeats this cycle.

I am beginning to think the problem never was a ‘bad’ ignition switch, but something else. I have checked all the fuses, they are all intact (except ABS, but that has been out for over a year).

I would appreciate any advice on what the problem might be or what else I should be looking for.

Thx in advance.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Update:
Disconnected battery cables and touched positive cable to negative cable for 30 seconds. Attempted passcode re-learn again. This time security light flashed for nearly 10 minutes, lit steady for a few seconds then turned off, turned ignition off for 5 seconds, then cycled to start>run, security light flashed for nearly 10 minutes, lit steady for a few seconds then turned off, repeated sequence for third time. Turned ignition off for 30 seconds, attempted to start, no start and no security light.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i had the starting problem in my 2003 mc when i traded it in. hopefully someone will help you out cus i never figured out what it was.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Luck and keep us updated

Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Update:

Found short in red wire (wire was melted) going to Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve, causing 10-amp ABS/PCM fuse to blow as soon as ignition was turned on.

Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve is part of emissions system and is located inside left quarter panel rearward of fuel filler

Temporarily fix: Cut wire to Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve, fuse does not blow and car starts every time however, check engine light stays on because it is sensing problem with emissions system (Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve not working).

Permanent fix: Replace Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve, replace hot lead (red wire) going to purge canister solenoid.