Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Security Light Dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 AM
1 Year Member
Default Security Light Dilemma!

Hi All,
I'm driving a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and have been trying pretty much trying everything except going to the stealership to diagnose my Security Light problem. I have replaced the ignition lock cylinder and did the Relearn Procedure and it starts up fine but Security Light still is on after I start it up and running it for as long as I have it running. So next I changed out the Ignition Switch and still the same thing. Security light constantly on and it does start and remain running. I even tried disconnecting the Passlock sensor at the ignition cylinder and it WILL start and remain running. Does this possibly mean that the BCM could be the culprit? I'm out of ideas here. Any help would be really appreciated!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM

I took my instrument cluster apart and painted black over the "message center". I got sick of the stupid lights, "traction control, security etc..." coming on. They mean nothing to me, I just didn't want to look at them. For decades we didn't have the foolish Passkey or Traction Control. In my personal opinion, I don't need them, I just don't want to look at the light, LOL. I know this isn't a "fix" to your problem, it's just the solution that I used to for a problem that in my opinion will constantly keep coming back. I did the same thing for my "check engine" light. I have a scan tool so I periodically check the codes. I have the infamous "Evap" code that I can not get rid of so at least now I don't have to look at the light

Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Peterl, I know the light is a pain. I hate it myself! But there are things the light will tell you that you may not notice. Like if your trunk or Hood is open. The trunk may not be a big issue when you're driving, But you don't want your Hood popping open at 55mph on the highway. That happened to me with my now junked 325is. Totally my fault, I let myself get distracted and it cost me $327.59 to replace the windshield. Lessons learned!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 AM
1 Year Member
Default Update:

Well I went to the dealer today and they couldn't get any codes from the Security system nor the BCM at all. Sounds like they were as baffled as I was lol. They claimed to have done some circuit testing and have diagnosed my issue as a bad Instrument Cluster. They actually tried to reprogram the BCM and it did not clear the problem.

Next Friday they're gonna put in a new cluster for $450 and hopefully will get rid of the dumb light and restore my monte to its rightful state

I hope this helps people with the same problem as mine if there are any.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 AM

The last time I checked my 2002 Monte Carlo doesn't turn a light on when my hood is popped. Maybe on a BMW, but not my Monte Carlo. Not a valid arguement to keep warning lights working (on my car anyway). Maybe I'm just too old school but I just don't think we need a lot of the junk they put on cars now. I love my Monte Carlo, but the electrical side of the car really sucks!! If they had left some of the warning foolishness off these cars, they would be a much better car. Once again, just my opinion

Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey JC, I thought everyone knew that the easiest way to fix a problem was to simply unplug the sensor or paint over/remove the warning light.

Double Face Palm

Each to their own, but (imo) telling someone to eliminate the warning rather then the problem causing the warning is bad advice.

Bigbeak, let us know if replacing the cluster resolves the problem. It may be beneficial info to others having the same problem and the switch/relearn didn't help.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member

I agree that all the extra "Bells and Whistles " in these cars are a pain in the Sitting Muscles! When I start my car the security light is off. First big bump I hit the security light comes on. I know why, just have had other things that were higher on my Fix It list.
I hate that light too. It is a Monte Carlos greatest Nemesis!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow very spendy instrument cluster. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? The dash is relatively easy to pull apart. And you can get a replacement cluster off of eBay for about $150. They will even program in your cars actual miles before they ship it to you.

Link below:

For Sale Reman 6 Gauge SS Instrument Dash Cluster IPC | eBay

Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 AM

On an OBD 2 system is the cars actual mileage not stored in the ECM? I was always under the understanding that if you plugged a different cluster into your car the ECM would automatically put the correct mileage onto the cluster

Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

I changed the cluster in my wife's Lexus, the Gage needles are supposed to light up at night, thinking that the mileage was stored in the ecm. I was wrong too. Went from 214000 time 237000 in and hour!
Boy was I upset. Now you guys got me thinking that my cluster could be bad too. As you may or may not know, my YelloJAC had 22"rims and 1" of sidewall. Combined with the Great NJ roads and a neglectful previous owner who never replaced the struts, tie rods, bearings, I have replaced most of the sensors, had the computer reprogramed twice, replaced the right hub got the new tie rods and crank sensor in the back seat, and ordered all 4 complete struts today. Then found out this afternoon that I don't have a day off for the next 2 weeks! :-(
Since the 22" and the bad struts combined shook and shocked the rest of my electronics to Mindlessness, why not the cluster too? Maybe I will find that EBay site mentioned earlier in this thread for a new cluster with my miles on it. First I gotta get a w/e to myself to put in the parts I have.
At any rate, the Security light Sucks, the Body control module is just an idiot light for those who can't tell that their car is bouncing down the road like a beach ball, and the alarm system wound work just as well if the security light didn't come on.
But we, the drivers, owners and tool turners of our Beloved Monte Carlos, did not get to Design it or even give any input on it. What we do get is to enjoy cruising down the road in it, seeing people stop and stair at it, and feel the joy in our driving bone cause we know these beauties are All Ours!

Last edited by JC Colon; 06-17-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Security Light Dilemma!