Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Question Electrical

I have posted on here just a few weeks ago about some break issues and i am thankful for the responses i got back i now have the breaks on the car fixed new wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, it also had a pin hole in the break line itself which i got taken care of! Now the next problem i'm having is the car is always drained down meaning i charge up the battery which is new, and it starts right up with one click of the key, and is good for a few days. But always go's right back to being stone dead again. What could be the problem the alternator is putting out the voltage.Any feedback on what could be draining my battery down time and time again would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:44 PM

What is the vehicle? Start with the obvious. Verify that the battery is good. Even though it is new it could still be bad. Was it doing it before you replaced the battery?

Last edited by Jason78; 10-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

it could be as simple as a dome light staying on, the bulb inside the dash or trunk etc

Old 10-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

How did you test the alternator?

It could be showing that its charging good on the vehicle...however..under a load it may have a weak diode...

Like previously mentioned before... one interior, trunk light could be the culprit.. they can literally kill a battery overnight. As an ex towing company driver... I speak from experience. does it possibly have an after market sound system? are they operated by the key switch or are they wired direct? This can also cause a draining of the power.
If I remember correctly...
You have a 305 motor?
One of the common things that kills a battery on the older style Monte Carlo's is a bad Bendix on the starter...
Since removing the starter is simply 2 bolts straight up and 2 wires... I would pull the starter and remove the bendix..

and either have someone check it out or if you know what to look for... take it apart and look to see if the plunger plates/contacts are arched together...or if theres signs of heavy arching...If so... Then that's the problem... Typical Chevy problem.. (Im a diehard chevy guy) Or simply buy a new bendix and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised the starting/charging issue will disappear..

Is the battery store bought new? or just new to you? (IE: from a friend/boneyard) Id look into having it load tested just for piece of mind.
Pls keep us posted of your progress.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 10-04-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: addition....
Old 10-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Default Charging Issue:

Thank you for all this great information concerning my issue on this old car! I will look into everything that was said, i took the alternator off the car and had it checked at the auto parts store.They said it was putting out the right volts. I however did not check the battery i bought it new, i guess i need to take it out and have it looked at also. I also installed a new starter on the car too, hmm i will post back and let you know what i can come up with. Thank you very much for you're help cause i have none lol!