Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lots of electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Default Lots of electrical problems

I have a Chevy Monte Carlo that I believe that I may have created an electrical Nightmare. I ended up attempting to fix the locked automatic shifter problem and ended up shorting my cigarette lighter out.

I now have fixed the cigarette lighter problem with the fuse replacement.

However I now have the following problems.

All intrument panel things are not working. Exception is the lights which work. Speedometer does not work, temperatur gauge and none of the normal lights that you would normally see when you start up the engine.

When I turn on the lights I get the chiming until I go nuts and finally turn off the engine. When daylight no chiming occurs. However as soon as it turns a little dark or as soon as I physically turn on the lights the chiming starts.

If there is a simple solution other than taking it back to the chevy dealer and get hit with a large bill, I would love to here about it.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Default RE: Lots of electrical problems

well, the good news is ya know where it all started at. LOL! sorry shouldnt laugh but it is funny to think of the bell goin off when the lights come on.

ok first things first.

what year is the car?

what was the issue with the auto lock you were trying to fix?

did you unhook anywires? if so whitch ones and where are they now?

as far as all of your warnning lights etc. you may have just blowen a fuse. or you could have shorted them out there for they are ethier gone or need to be replaced with LED's (good as time as any)

do yo know aobu the second and third fuse pannels in your car ( I know the 6th gen has one on both sides of the dash and also one under the hood. ) the one on the pax side has your dome lights etc. in it and i belive the warn. lights might be there also. But if you have created a bad ground or a short for them you will have to fix it first.

if you live someplace close to a bone yard go get a new dash with the speedo etc. in it and plug it in see if it remedys the issue for all your lights if you cant find a blowen fuse. IF it dose then you have blowen the borad or shorted it out some place and this is your cause.

if it still dont then you have to figure out what wire is the cause for this and get a good test light and wire diogram and dive in to it. makeing sure you test all the wires that need to be tested and makeing sure to test with the key on or off whitch ever is appropreat to make them work.
as far as the chime that as far as i know is int eh stereo so ya might try turning looking in there to make sure you didnt unplug or plug something in backwards or unhook something that should have not benn etc....

good luck.
other wise it will be a dealer issue im afraid unless you want to buy the factory manuals or can find them some where to barrow and figure it out.
keep us posted

Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 AM

Not sure of the year or the make will get that information!

The cigarette lighter was the cuprit!

I was attempting to fix the automatic tranmission shifter problem that would not allow me to disengage from Park because of a bad sensor to the transmission lever. Somewhere in this someone suggested cutting one of the wires however I cut both but when I did I shorted it with the cigarette lighter. I have re-wired both wires fixed the fuse on the pass side for the cigarette lighter! However not sure about the other fuses that you advised about under the hood or whereever! Will look it up in my user manual!

I will also see if I can go to the library to see if I can get a wiring diagram!

Oh by the way A/C stopped working also!

Getting warm down here in alabama good timing!

So to sum up!

No lights when you turn on the ignition on any of the counsol gages - check engine, oil, seat belt or any of them!

I will get the model and make after I come home from work today! Will also get the VIN! All on the same document thank goodness! Registration!

I never was much of a car person and should have originally taken it to the shop! But guess there is no time to learn but now! Hopefully it can be fixed as my Ranger I took to the store the other night - white smoke started billowing out from under the engine so guess that is a different story altogether. Smell of wiring burning also. And luckly I never touched this one. Someone standing close by in the parking lot seems to believe I was the starter! But who really knows!

Thanks for you help!

Jesse

Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 PM

waht part of Alabama you live in?

IF your twords the southren end of it let me know i migh tknwo somone who can help you with it and he is a certifyed mech.

But he lives in Troy but he dose also do some work in Montgomery area also.

Let me know what ya find out.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:18 PM

Fixed it all but the A/C but believe that this may be the same thing another fuse. There was a seperate fuse for the chime and the instrument panel that the fuse didn't even look bad! Come to find out I replaced the fuse anyway with a good one and presto everything but the A/C.

Supposedly it has a fuse under the passenger side insid the hood! It is probably bigger then the little ones I have so will give that a try first. Did not see anything that ran the A/C in the miniture version fuses.

If I have problems still with A/C will get back with you if you don't mind!

Thanks

Jesse

Old 04-14-2006, 08:44 AM

not a problem he would have to do it on the side if you two hooked up. he works for haynes ambulances now.

he is thier head mech.

but glad to hear it was a easy fix for the most part