Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dash Lights wont work at night

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Well if anyone gets the solution to this I sure hope you post it.

Thanks again...

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 AM

here ya go gmcman101 and anyone else who has had this problem. I took everything apart and got my old one out so you could see what Im talking about. This is what causes the dash lights to go out at night but be on in the daytime.

STEP 1 : Take apart the dash to get to the dimmer switch, take the dimmer switch off. (All together, 6 screws)

STEP 2: Unhook the wire harness and look at the connectors, there is most likely a burnt connector as you see here in the top left. Theres your problem

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM

Take the dash apart. Sounds like I'm going to have to invest in a dollar store flashlight to check my speed once in a while.

Thanks Seal...

Old 12-31-2009, 06:50 PM

Its really not a hard task at all to do. Very easy whole job can be done in 10 to 20 mins. Right above your pedals is a plastic cover. This is takin off with 2 releases you hit with your thumbs, no screws yet. After you take that off the dashboard begins. There are 2 screws where you just took that cover off of(1 left 1 right) Undo those. Then open your glovebox and drivers fuse box. Undo the 1 screw in the glovebox (far left) and undo the 2 screws closest to the steering wheel. One is right on top of the other. Then thats it for the dash. Just start pulling it off. Once thats off you'll see the 3 screws on the housing of the dimmer switch. Thats self explanitory. And thats it. A total of 8 screws in the whole job.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 AM

thanks alot soon as im off work imma look into this asap i had another post about this problem too but i hope this solution works chevy was talkin about charging like 500

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Yea and to tell you the truth thats a very small charge for a chevy tech so it should be this easy. Good luck

Old 01-13-2010, 03:13 PM

I was looking into this and someone mentioned bypassing the resistor so the interior lights will work. They said I wouldn't be able to dim the lights but they would work. Can anyone deliberate more on this?

Thanks...

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Well seal your were right on, my switch looked just like the pics you posted. I took it apart and found some of the contacts were burnt. I cleaned them up and it works again. I had a hell of a time putting it back together because of some contacts and springs but managed to get it back together and it worked. Just saved myself a hundred bucks. Thanks again...

Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Default No dash lights at Night

Hi I am NEW, well to this site anyway. I came here because of this dash light problem in my 2003 MC SS. During the day I can see all the dash, console, steering wheel and clock lighting. But when darkness falls all I see (barely) is my clock and the PRND321. I have to use a flashlight to see how fast I am going.
The other night, I got in and readjusted my seat and "Poof" all my lights came on, It was like Christmas in there! The next day my son drove it to the store and readjusted the seat.... I am in the dark and using my flashlight again. I looked under the seat thinking I had pinched one of the wires in the seat track or something. So....
My Question is, Can anyone assist me with a diagram of how the wires are to be plugged in under my electric seat?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Not sure if this will help you but I had the same problem except for the seat problem. Check to see if your taillights are out. My fuse checked good in circuit with an ohmmeter but when i pulled it out it was in fact blown. I replaced it and my taillights and all interior lights now work properly.

Quick Reply: Dash Lights wont work at night