Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Default couple questions

hey guys i got a couple questions. What kind of hood scoops would look good on a 1972 monte carlo? the hood being so big its hard to find scoops that dont look silly on it. and what kind of spoiler would fit it?

thanks,
kyle

Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: couple questions

Well, seeing as how a 1972 monte carlo wasnt really designed to have spoilers and hood scoops put on them, I would venture a guess that no matter what you put on it, its going to look silly. Maybe you can find a aftermarket cowl induction hood for the car, but good luck finding a spoiler that looks right. What is your goal with the car? If you are trying to make it look like one of the cars the kids are driving around these days, I would say look for a different car to do it to.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM

i was just tired of seeing all the older models with the cowl induction and i was looking for something different. And i definitely dont want to do this car up like what my friends (im a kid) are driving around. the reason for the spoiler is to add some height to the rear of the car. the same goes for the scoops i wanted that raised hood line look (and with a small block i need all the cool air i can). i dont have enough cash to make this thing original so i just want to make the best looking car i can.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM

belive me with that small blosk your fine on air flow. if it is heating up get the rad. boiled out on it. and make sure there is a fan shroud on it with the larger width.

as for the spoilers on them i have seen it befoer and i really have to admit they looked really bad IN MY OPION.
But if your looking to give the car a diffrent look then stock throw some air shocks under the tail end they are cheap about 60.00 and with some nice wheels and tires and about 20lbs. of air pressure it will look nice and still handel pretty good.
not to mention you cna stuff some meat under there to.

but you will have plenty of air flow BELIVE me over ehating those cars was not a issue if they were in good shape to begin with.
mine had a built 327 under the hood for a while before the org. 454 was put back togeather and it never overe hated on me. it would run about 180 on the guage all the time in the hotest days of summer. with AC running.
lower your T-stat, make sure the radator is clean. do a block flush on it to clean out the motor as much as you can also. and give it a good oil change if your really want to help cool it more put a tranny cooler on it to help get rid of the heat from it in the rad to.
Good luck and you have a really nice car when you get it done it will be a eye catcher