Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Default Couple of Questions

Hey, Had my monte for about a month now, but I noticed a few things.

1. I noticed that the lights that light up the A/C button, and the sliding temp things doesn't light up, is there a bulb behind there? is it easy to get to?

2. I noticed when I turn right, I get a sound from the speakers (sounds like the cd is spinning), and it only does it when I turn right.

3. On the Information center, the spot where it reads the temperture, it reads "OC", the compass works though.

4. To get the door panel off, do I need a special tool?

Thanks alot, any input would be great.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Default RE: Couple of Questions

What year is theMonte ?

1. I noticed that the lights that light up the A/C button, and the sliding temp things doesn't light up, is there a bulb behind there? is it easy to get to? The bulbs in all of your switches and ***** aren't just a simple replacement. They are tiny bulbs (probably LED) that are usually soldered to the circuitry. However, that doesn't mean they can't be replaced. If you want to, take out the AC control head and see how it is put together. You may be able to carefully disassemble it.Just keep in mind that there are manylittle plasticpieces thatwill easily break if care isnot taken.

2. I noticed when I turn right, I get a sound from the speakers (sounds like the cd is spinning), and it only does it when I turn right. For this one, I would need some more information. Are you sure the sound is from the speakers? Does this happen all time? Does it happen only on right turns? Any more information you can give me would be helpful.

3. On the Information center, the spot where it reads the temperture, it reads "OC", the compass works though. If the temperature is less than minus 40°F for more than 2 seconds, OC will display. The reason that your Driver Information Center (DIC) thinks it is below 40 is most likely due to a bad outside ambient air temperature sensor. The best place to start is at the sensor. Remove the sensor and check continuity in the sensor. If your reading displays "OL", then you know automatically that you have a bad sensor. If you do get a resistance value, however, you must diagnose further to figure out whether or not it is the sensor, or another circuit fault. This can be tricky because the sensor acts as a variable resistor. I don't recall which way it is, but I believe as temperature increases, resistance increases and vice versa. What I can tell you is that at 3047 Ohms, the temperature should read 130°F (54°C). So what youcould do is buy some resistors so that you come close to that value, and then see what the temperature reads.However, if you do decide to do this, you must first drive the vehicle at a speed of 32km/h (20mph) for approximately 1½minutes or at a speed of 72km/h (45mph) for approximately 1minute in order to update the DIC.

I will send you some more info in a PM. If you give me your email, I will send you diagnostic flow chart from the service manual

Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 AM

assuming its a 2000-2005?

1 - lil tiny bulbs sodierd to the circuit board burn out, i've got one out too but i'm too skeerd to ruin my hvac control head to change em out.

2 - try turning off the blower motor to see if the noise stops next time it happens, mine started making noise just before i found my cowl seal leaking, after i had the water leak fixed for a couple weeks the noise went away and hasnt been back.

3 - im guessing you need an outside temp sensor

4 - nothin too special needed, i know i use a phillips, i think a t30 torx, a panel popper, anda pocket screwdriver....atleast thats all i can recall at the moment

Old 10-07-2007, 01:21 AM

Here is everything you need to know for removing the AC head

Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement

[ol]

Remove the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block access hole cover.
Disengage the left I/P insulator retainers from the lower I/P trim pad.
Remove the steering column filler panel bolts.
Pull the steering column filler panel rearward to disengage the retainers. Lower the filler panel away from the I/P lower trim panel.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear compartment release switch.
Remove the rear compartment release switch.
Remove the steering column filler panel. [/ol]
Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement (Monte Carlo)

[ol]Adjust the steering wheel for access.

Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.
Remove the access cover from the left IP fuse block.
Remove the steering column filler. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
Open the IP compartment door.

Remove the screw from the left side of the IP cluster trim plate.

Remove the screw from the right side of the IP cluster trim plate.
If the vehicle is equipped with a front floor console, position the transaxle shift control lever to the rear most position.

Remove the trim plate starting at the right side of the IP cluster and pulling rearward, continuing until all of the retainers are released.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the hazard switch.
Important:Moderately twist the left side of the IP cluster trim plate in order to clear the cluster area from the instrument panel.
Remove the IP cluster trim plate. [/ol]
Heater and Air Conditioning Control Replacement

[ol]Remove the instrument panel trim plate bezel. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.

Remove the retaining screws from the HVAC control module.
Pull the HVAC control module out from the instrument panel.

Disconnect the electrical connectors(1) from the HVAC control module.
Disconnect the vacuum connectors(2) from the HVAC control module.
Remove the HVAC control module from the instrument panel. [/ol]

Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 AM

Thanks, Mine is a 2000 SS.

Thanks for the info, off to the dealer I go

Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 AM

If I was to buy this, does it come with the board that has the lights on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-CL...spagenameZWDVW

Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Epic

If I was to buy this, does it come with the board that has the lights on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-CL...spagenameZWDVW
If you buy this, you will save time wasted on experimentation. This is your best bet. Just be in mind that this is a used part, so you are always running the risk of a reduced lifetime. However, this is the best alternative since a new one costs betweem 100 - 200 bucks.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 AM

i tried that too, found one for $20 shipped after watching long enough. problem is that noone selling these will confirm that everything works on them. one i bought worked fine, but it had 2 lights out instead of one.