Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

86 Monte Bogging Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Default 86 Monte Bogging Down

I have a 86 SS. A couple of months ago, I was having trouble with it bogging down as I was going down the road. It wasn't while I was accelerating, just after I had already got up to speed. I would park it for 5 to 10 minutes, crank it and then it would go maybe 1 mile before doing it again. I replaced the fuel filter, blew out the fuel lines, and trieda few other things, but it still did it.I just completed installing a new motor and drove it maybe 60 miles, no problem. But then it started doing it again. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, or can help me out. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default RE: 86 Monte Bogging Down

Had the same problem with my old '79Chevy stepside. Never did find out for sure what it was. But was told it could be sucking air under the carberator (not sure if you '86 has a carb). We replaced fuel filter, pump, andair filter, Ended up getting so undependable that I started driving my MIL's car and it sat, it's still setting, hope to restore it someday.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:45 PM

take a can of carb cleaner. and start the car. as it is running spray a small shot in the carb do thsi sevearl times.
Also you cna spray around the intake man. and the carb at the bottom of the carb you dont have to get everythign soaking wet jsut trying to see if it has a leak if it dose it will suck the spray in to the motor and will cause it to rev or fall on its face again. if it dose sray it again to make sure of the area it was in. most of the time it will find a bad gasket,bad hose for a vac. line.
Just make sure you dont have any open spark or flames when your spraying it as this is flamabel.

Also have you changed the HEI plug wires or the spark plugs lately? also check the cap make sure the cap and rotor are in good shape might try cleaning it out with a rag and then you can spray a small amount of W-d40 in to it and wipeing it down so it will get any mositure out of it.

hey dusty bird ya want to seel the 79 truck? I need a good project LOL

Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Sorry, Mickey, I've had it seen I was 14, don't think I can part with it.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:02 PM

I don't know if GM still did this in 86, but I had the same problem with a 77 Grand Prix. My car had a fuel sock in the gas tank. Think of it as a pre-filter for the fuel system. I would be crusing down the road and would lose power. Let it sit around for a while and it would be fine for a little while. A friend told me about this so I wound up dropping the fuel tank to check it out. Sure enough on the end of the fuel line resided a nylon sock that was about 75% blocked. I dumped the tank, cleaned it out the best I could and soaked the sock thinking I had my problems solved. Well for several weeks things were going my way with no problems.

I decided to take a trip from Texas to North Carolina about a month after I cleaned out the system. Somewhere around Alabama I started to lose power again. This was the wrong time for this to happen because I didn't want to pull the gas tank off on I-20. I thought about the delima as I was losing power rapidly and pulled in to a service station. I asked the attendent if I could use his shop air hose explaining to him what was happing. I took the fuel line off going back to the tank and blew about 120psi of pressure on the line. (I did take the gas cap off first).

This procedure did the trick completely blowing the sock off of the back. I never had the problem again and drove this car for several years afterwards.

I would say this would be a good place to start!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 PM

i would recomend taking it out of the tank by droping the tank. if it decided to get stuck on the end of the line it will stall ya out completley dind think of that one LOL
We used to take a ping pong ball and put them in the tank and it would do this to pepole also. and it was mean but would do this exact thing lol

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

Sorry, Mickey, I've had it seen I was 14, don't think I can part with it.
yeah this is the same thing i always here. Sorry Mickey.
well do me a favor if ya find one CHEAP let me know. i have a line on a real good 78 here but it is more of a parts truck. im looking for a short bed if i can find it.