Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Considering a 98 Z34

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Default Considering a 98 Z34

Ok, I'm looking to get a 98 or 94 Z34 for the Mrs.
She loves Montes (I do too) and it's gotta have the L36. We currently have a 98 Bonneville SE and I'm an Admin on a Bonneville forum. SO, I am comfortable with the L36. A 00+ just isn't in the budget.

I found something that we are considering.
It's a 98 Z in South Jersey. That's a bit of a distance from me, but I have a friend (one of our gearheads) in Philly who's going to go look at it for me.

The issue is, besides the gasket issues with the 3.8, what are some common issues that he should look for that are common with this platform?

He's going to try to see it on Thurs so I want to gather as much info for him as I can.

Here's what we know about the car in question.

Selling the car as is, can be used as a parts car or fixed. Car does not run, we believe head gasket went. It has 179,000 miles, body is in good condition aside from usual wear and tear. Interior is good, drivers seat has a tear, and console door needs to be replaced thanks to puppy. Has all options, sunroof, ac, auto, pw, pl, steering wheel controls, remote start, etc. there are issues with driver side window, not sure if switch or what. Any other questions or pics, feel free to ask if are actually interested. Car is white with charcoal interior.
They are only asking $400. Not worried about the gasket, that's a given anyways as far as I am concerned when buying a car with the 3800. Interior also isn't an issue as all the leather seating would be coming out and getting replaced with cloth. The wife doesn't want leather.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 PM

if it is the z34 it is the 3400 motor in it which means the head gasket went on it the 3800 what i am aware of is the intake manifold gasket is finiky. the 98 z34 has the 3.4 quad cam in it if the engin had a bad leak and if they drained the oil the botom is shot. on the high not if it just needs a rebuild it would be a really quick car. after the gasket and head check and mill if you decide to get the car and do the work on it you can build it and can be really reliable using a gread a gasket set and a cam set if you want. plus what i heared from outher 3.4 z34 monty guys hear you canget a good amount of apunk and enjoyment after some tlc

Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
if it is the z34 it is the 3400 motor in it which means the head gasket went on it the 3800 what i am aware of is the intake manifold gasket is finiky. the 98 z34 has the 3.4 quad cam in it if the engin had a bad leak and if they drained the oil the botom is shot. on the high not if it just needs a rebuild it would be a really quick car. after the gasket and head check and mill if you decide to get the car and do the work on it you can build it and can be really reliable using a gread a gasket set and a cam set if you want. plus what i heared from outher 3.4 z34 monty guys hear you canget a good amount of apunk and enjoyment after some tlc
No no no no, the z34 was the top of the line model of the monte between 95 and 99. 95-97 had the 3.4L DOHC V6. The LQ1 (3.4 DOHC) ceased to exist after 1997. 98-99 still kept the z34 name but had the 3800 L36 V6. The 3400 motor was never put into the montes until the 6th gen body style came out in 2000. It replaced the 3100 as the smaller engine choice in the montes.

Have your guy check the oil in the car. If it looks like chocolate milk then antifreeze dumped into the oil when the gasket blew. If the car doesnt start run at all and the oil is milky, I would stay away because they possibly ran it with water in the oil until they screwed the motor. Even if the motor is blown, it would be cheap to throw another 3800 in there. Hell for 400 bucks it would still be worth it if the engine was trashed. You can pick up a used 3800 for a few hundred and throw it in there. The only other thing I would be worried about would be the trans. With 180,000 miles on it you may run into problems. The trans could be in great shape, or it could be completely toasted, you wont know until you drive it. That comes back to being a cheap fix, especially since the car is so cheap.

I love my 5th gen, its just old enough that is doesnt feel all plasticy inside but still new enough that its not falling apart. I have a different motor than whats in that car, but I have driven/worked on other 3800s and I know they are great, reliable motors.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check around the gas-tank for a rust bubble. Very common area to rust out from the bottom and destroy the back end of the car.

I honestly wouldn't even think of looking at that car. Such high miles, doesn't run. Sounds like you are going to be doing way more work than it's worth. Could be worth it to save up and try try to find a 6th gen, or at least a lower mileage Z34

Old 02-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

For 400 bucks I dont see why it wouldnt be worth it, if you were willing to do the work. If you have to pay someone to fix it, then its not really worth it. If you get the car and you cant fix it, Im sure you could recoup most if not all of you money by selling parts and scrapping it. I bet you could get at least 200 bucks just out of scrapping it. Then you got the 3800 engine wiring harness you could sell for maybe 50 bucks and Im sure you could find other things to sell. Its worth at least checking out. You may luck out and the engine isnt toast and just needs repaired. Its up to you what you want to do.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would buy it for $400, i love that price! like mike said, check under the gas cap for rust, and i would also check under the rear of the car, around the fuel tank, rear suspention, spare tire well and rear floorpan. those aereas can rust, especially on higher-milage examples. my LS is just starting to get kinda nasty underneith. also, if the car has sat and has / had any leaves or debris on the cowl aerea, check the underside of the cowl and firewall. my dad's Z34 is toast in that aerea from having leaves set in there.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 AM

ditto on that...doesnt take much for the underside to rot out : / my 95 ls has alot of issues with that...brake and fuel lines rusted so they leak...and actual frame rail rust...i had to make new brackets for my lower trailing arms...thats y my z34 is outside this winter

Old 02-19-2010, 06:33 AM

Well, it got apretty favorable report.
Now, to figure out how to get it. It's about 8 hrs away and it isn't running.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 PM

do you know any one that has a truck you can rent a car carrier from uhaul it will save you money from a towtruck company