Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Considering 3.8L Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Default Considering 3.8L Rebuild

Hey guys,

Another question. My girlfriends transmissions going out of her 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L. Since I am going to have to yank the motor and transmission I thought I'd do a lil rebuild to her motor. I'm talking new main bearings, new rod bearings and possible new piston rings. Wheres the best place to get these parts the cheapest? I'm not wanting performance just OEM caliber. Is it necessary to replace the piston rings? The motors got 150,000 on it and was wondering how long do these last until they start to burn oil??

THanks guys,

Colby

Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Default RE: Considering 3.8L Rebuild

I have always been a fan of building it stronger. You may try gmpartsdirect.com for oem parts. If I was tearing apart a motor I would be upgrading evrything I could so that I did not have to do it again. These are great motors so I am sure someone will chime in and give you some better advice. I am not a great person to ask because every tranny I have replaced was upgraded with shift kits and stronger parts. I always build towards adding power. Check summit racing and gmpartsdirect for prices.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM

thanks teacher for the responce!!! yes building it stonger and better would be nice!! were trying to get in and out with the least money possible while still doing a good job

com on guys im needed more advice

Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 AM

ttt

Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Don't rebuild the engine. If you want an engine with lower mileage, just buy a lower mileage short block and swap it in. 3800 rebuilds are notorious for spinning bearings and all kinds of stupid stuff when rebuilt, evenby professional shops. Sure, some come out ok- but it is far cheaper to just buy a lower mileage bottom end and just drop it in if you're worried about it.

Not to mention, doing a full proper rebuild, with all the machine work- is fairly expensive, and will add virtually no power.

While the engine is out though, I would suggest doing a cam if you planned on modding the engine more- its 100x easier to do with the engine out.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM

thanks for the responce... one thing's not clear here though... i am NOT modding this motor for more power... it is a daily driver that will stay stock and is drove like a grocery getter... i am only considering putting new bearings in the motor for extending the motors life..

lets here more about 3.8L rebuilds??

Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I were you, since the tranny is shot anyway, check prices on a good used supercharged 3.8 (L67) engine and tranny combo (4t65). It doesn't cost anything to call local junkyards or check the net for engine and tranny combos out of a wrecked Monte or Grand Prix. If they're in good condition, and the price is in your price range, go with that. Something to think about.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 PM

ttt

more on rebuilded 3.8L motors

Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 AM

i am NOT modding this motor for more power... it is a daily driver that will stay stock and is drove like a grocery getter... i am only considering putting new bearings in the motor for extending the motors life..
If you aren't wanting more power or to do any mods, then just leave it as is. When you do have problems with the bottom end (could easily be another 100k), then just swap in another stock shorty with lower mileage. If you don't want to do the job twice of pulling everything- then just swap in a low mileage shorty now.

more on rebuilded 3.8L motors
You probably aren't gonna find many people with rebuild 3800s on here. They've got such a terrible reputation for survivingthat they just aren't very common, especially when you can pick up used shortys for so cheap.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We have a 99 GP at our shop as a salesmans car. It has over 250,000mi on it. It broke an oil pump gear at 238,000mi. We put in all new bearings, and fixed the broken oil pump and front cover, and re-ringed it. EVERYTHING else is stock. As long as everything checks WELL within specs, re-build it. If it's borderline, tho, trash it and get another one. Be careful on getting another one, tho. They may be plentiful, but MOST are junk.
HINT: Break in the rebuild on conventional oil. then switch to synthetic oil after 500 miles.
Honestly, if the motor is clean in the oil pan and in the valve covers, leave it alone and put another 100,000 miles on it. The trannys are a bigger problem than the engines.

Quick Reply: Considering 3.8L Rebuild