General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Considering buying an 87 LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Default Considering buying an 87 LS

Well, I say it's an 87, but it's been registered as a 78 because it had its frame swapped.
Anyway, just wondering what problem areas to look out for in the 87 LS models, or any issues with the 78's frame.
It's done about 60k miles.
Any help will be rewarded with a friendly thought (and appreciation).

Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi Toodles, and Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...
What engine is in the Monte?
I have never heard of a 87 registered as a 78, but I learn something everyday...

Do you have pictures to post ? We would love to see this Monte Carlo 4-Sure....60K miles is low for the year...
How many owners of this Monte ? Who did the changes ?
Do you know that person ? Is the Monte on the road now and being driven ?

Look forward to your answers, and hopefully pictures.
How's life in Norway ? Are there any other Monte Carlo's in your area ?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM

All the images I can provide are the images from the listing on this Norwegian website.

The reason why the frame's been swapped is so that it can qualify as a veteran (30 years or more), and thus get lower insurance, no road tax, no registration fees.
I don't know how many owners it's had or who did the work on it. It's had a lot of replacement parts, like brakes, springs, new rubber seals, new exhaust, ignition system. The engine is the 305ci.
I don't know the person selling it, but I am planning to go and see it. As far as I'm aware it's being used. It started out at 65000NOK (that's about $10000), but recently it's gone down to 58990NOK (about $9000). It's obvious he's having trouble selling it, so I might be able to take advantage of his desperation. And yes, I know cars are expensive in Norway. Especially American V8s. Car prices are mostly based on engine size and emissions.
Kudos on finding the right flag. There are some other Montes, mostly 3rd generation. I like the 4th generation best, especially the 87 onwards.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi Toodle's, & thanks for your reply + pictures.

That's a beautiful Monte Carlo...Does the owner's have receipts for all the work that was performed ?

The 5L 305 C.I. is a great V8, but the power is limited.
They are a super reliable engine `if they have been maintained & not abused....

Please check back on your thread questions and hopefully one of our expert tech's or owner's of this model will post their thoughts/opinions for you to consider.

I would ask the owner about all modifications that have been performed, and if he knows, by who ?

Wish you good luck & please keep us updated on your decision.
p.s. I don't think anyone can go wrong buying a Chevy Monte Carlo, if the price is decent...

p.s. check the below link for basic infor on the 87 Monte...
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...nte-Carlo.aspx
Click above link (Scanned for Virus) ~> Clean link : )

Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Checking over i'd say the obviouse, all the fluids, then climb underneath and check out the frame and see if there is any spots that are rusted trew, (the rear frame hornes( where i bolts to the rear bumper support) usuallt like to go) see if there is any obvious signs of leaking fluids, also just check the botom of the doors for rust

Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I'LL TAKE IT!!!!

Things to look for:
Rust in the bottoms of the doors.
Rust in the lower quarter panels. Both in front of and behind the rear wheels.
Rust in the floors. (trunk floor also)

The 1986 LS Monte was the very first Monte Carlo to receive composite headlights. And wrap around taillight design.

This car you're looking at has bucket seats, and console. Both had to be ordered to get them. They are not standard in any Monte Carlo and that includes the SS models. It also has the gauge package. (gauges versus lights in the dash)

One other thing to consider. Less LS Montes made versus the SS.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:59 PM

thats insane money for that car. i agree with everyone else. you might want to check the floor boards for holes to. they rust out over the cat. at least the third gens did. thats insane money they want though. hell id sell you mine for that with 90 % of the body panels to finish it.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM

I dig it, that's a nice looking car. But I got to say, 58990NOKia's is a lot of phones...

Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM

I need to re-emphasise that Norwegian car prices can't be compared to US ones. And also mention slightly higher salaries.
The price isn't what you need to consider though. Potential rust traps and things that might go wrong is what I need to know about.
The ignition system was done by a certified garage, and so was the exhaust. I'm guessing all the other stuff too, but I'll check up on that.

So far I've learned that I should check the doors/doorframes, floors, lower quarter panels, the frame and fluid leaks.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Looks like it's in good shape! Good luck and welcome!

Quick Reply: Considering buying an 87 LS