Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

Check the Recall Notices. I doubt it pertains to your car ... but, one of the Monte Re-calls had something to do with the way the Calipers were torqued down at the Factory. I called Chevy about mine. They took my VIN and told me my car was outside the number that the recall pertained too. I laid a wrench on those Bolts, anyway, just to be sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Endo

Question abtou the ISS replacement job.

I'm getting ready to put in a CAI as soon as I can get out of the weather. Assuming my clunk is the same thing ('05 just starting to clunk, no history of this job done before) would you guys reccomend getting that replaced before putting the CAI in? I only ask b/c I'm untrusting and a little leary about putting in the CAI, and them having to take it out to get to the ISS, then not putting it back in right since it's not a factory part and maybe they don't know how (obviously they'd know to connect the intake to the MAF sensor, etc, but I just mean in general them not putting it all back together right). Or is the ISS replaced from below. Just wanted to get opinons. Thanks!
The ISS is accessed through a panel under your brake pedal. It should have nothing to do with getting in the way of the CAI.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Well they said they lubed it up and it didnt fix the problem so they decided to replace it. I waited for an hour and a half at the dealership before I had somewhere to go and they still didnt have it ready to go. I asked and they said that either the tech put it in wrong or it was the wrong part, but when he got it in the steering wheel was upside down. So they finally put me in a rental(an impala that seems faster and has a softer suspension than my monte carlo though they have the same engine) and sent me on my way. This morning I get a call that the car is done and that they put my old shaft back in and lubed it up. If lubing didnt work the first time, why try it a second? I am concerned I am going to have the same problem again. Oh well, I'm going to pick up my car in a few hours and hopefully all will be well.

Steve

Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Make sure they do a decent alignment too.

When they did mine the first time, they left my steering wheel about 20* twisted counter clockwise.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to go over everything pretty thoroughly before I leave. Luckily this was all done under warranty.

Steve

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM

my 01 does it to.if i chose to go with a new iss how much would that set me back?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 PM

i just had mine replaced w/out the warranty and it cost me 232 dollars

Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Keep us posted as to whether the replacement keeps it fixed. Right now I'm lubing mine with the White Lithium Grease 'til I'm fairly confident the replacements actually hold up, then I'll get it replaced.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 AM

had my ISS totally replaced... didn't fix anything... so the next thing they did was replace the entire whole steering rack... and while they were under there, they noticed that both front wheel bearings were bad as well and replaced those too...

now the front end feels better than new..

and as for an alignement, all they are required to align after replacing the steering rack is the toe-in... that's all that is needed...

if you want a normal 4-wheel alignment, you're on your own to pay for that...