Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Default RE: Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

ISS is what it sounds like. explosive have you checked your motor mounts? just push your car backwards with the hood open and see if your motor moves or not.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM

I have door rattle.

My car even after I repaired and replaced my rotors makes a thumping noise when I apply the brakes at high speed. I do not have abs on my car.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Well a couple of things came from my dealer visit. They were able to reproduce the clunk and they said it is the steering column and they lubed it up. I was having an intermittent airbag light and they said that my SDM module was bad and needed replacing. I have to wait till tomorrow to get my car back. They of course could not reproduce the door rattle, or the dome light squeek. But they said they would give it another shot after they replace the SDM. I will update tomorrow once I know more.

Steve

Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

They lubed it??? I thought they were supposed to be replacing them now with the new and improved design. I checked into a lube kit and was told they had been discontinued.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

They lubed it??? I thought they were supposed to be replacing them now with the new and improved design. I checked into a lube kit and was told they had been discontinued.
Supposedly my ISS has been replaced twice with the newer design. It is starting to klunk again.[&:]

Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Still dont have the car back this morning, waiting on the SDM to be replaced. The tech said that once they replaced the SDM they were going to check out the door rattle and dome light squeek again. I doubt they will find anything, but I've told myself that from now on when ever I take my car there, I am going to tell them about the door rattle until they get tired of hearing about it, or they actually manage to reproduce it. I am tired of them telling me they cant find it.[:@]!!!!

Steve

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

Supposedly my ISS has been replaced twice with the newer design. It is starting to klunk again.[&:]
Has it been replaced in the last year? I think the newest new design came out in '07. From what I could find on it, it's not supposed to need grease. But who knows?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Yes, twice in '07.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Question abtou the ISS replacement job.

I'm getting ready to put in a CAI as soon as I can get out of the weather. Assuming my clunk is the same thing ('05 just starting to clunk, no history of this job done before) would you guys reccomend getting that replaced before putting the CAI in? I only ask b/c I'm untrusting and a little leary about putting in the CAI, and them having to take it out to get to the ISS, then not putting it back in right since it's not a factory part and maybe they don't know how (obviously they'd know to connect the intake to the MAF sensor, etc, but I just mean in general them not putting it all back together right). Or is the ISS replaced from below. Just wanted to get opinons. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Yes, twice in '07.

eeew, guess it's not corrected then. Guess I willbe goingthe white lithium grease route then.

Quick Reply: Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel