Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

clicking noise think its the abs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default clicking noise think its the abs

Anyone has this problem with their car hearing a clicking sound when starting the car or when doing low speed braking sounds like something trying to lock and then unlock?

If i disconnect the abs i dont hear the sound but then anti-brake light stays on. i hear the sound every time i start the car and happens randomly during braking. Any solutions?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't here the clicking noise on my '04 Monte when I start it up. But all the 90's Grand Ams I've worked on/touched/been in, you can here the clicking when it starts. It's the ABS pump activating, this is normal.

BUT, if you here it when braking and are not braking hard or have road conditions (like slick roads) to justify ABS activation, sounds like you have a wheel speed sensor out of whack (as you may also notice your stopping seems a little irratic too). That clicking while braking is the ABS pump engaging and doing it's job. Best course of action is figure out which speed sensor is bad and replace it. That will require changing a wheel hub (as the sensor is in the hub).

Some scan tools can read and capture data from the wheel sensors to help narrow down the faulty one.

And the ABS light comes on because you disabled the ABS system, it's doing it's job to tell you there is a problem. If you get to a point where you have NOT resolved this problem and your braking is uncontrolable, keep those wires pulled, as you don't have ABS braking BUT you have regular power brakes (as you noticed). Again, you won't have ABS brakes (so if you get into a slide, YOU will need to pulse the brakes as ABS will not do it for you).

I had a '93 Grand Am I was never able to find the ABS problem and I could not control the brakes. I finally pulled the ABS wires to go back to non-ABS brakes and it was a HUGE relief!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 PM

well the i never heard the clicking noise at startup till recently in the past 6-8 months, so im pretty sure its supposed to be silent

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like I said, I know some cars it's normal to hear it and others you don't hear it. Perhaps it's a sign of the ABS pump failing...

Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 AM

cracked reluctor ring in the axle

solution replaced the axel and noise went away and abs stop clicking during normal braking

Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlownUptoHigh
cracked reluctor ring in the axle

solution replaced the axel and noise went away and abs stop clicking during normal braking
Congrats on finding the problem and posting the fix for it so if other members run into the same issue...they will know where to look first!
Thanks!