Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clicking noise underneath the hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Clicking noise underneath the hood

I was wondering what could this sound be! Its a clicking noise (after getting hit by the major snow storm in chicago), it last for only 20-30 minutes while sitting or driving. It sounds like NO OIL but I just got an oil change from Jiffy Lube like 1-2 wks ago. After the snow covered my vehicle, I went out here and started the car up (just so it will run after sitting through the storm). I proceeded to clean the snow yesterday and no strange sounds. That this is weird, because after the car was mobile today(her using it to go to work)....(I can't "WAIT" till she buy hers...lol), on her way to work NO SOUND, but after work then the clicking sound just started. I hope my lifters aren't going bad because it sure sound like no oil is in the engine.... Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 AM

dude, im up here too and my car has been making tons of noise this week, because its freaking cold man ... and windy, cars do not like cold, belts do not like the cold, and will make tons of noise until warm enough, if it still happens after warming up for a while, or when it gets warm outside again, then you can worry ...

but as long as the car is running, and starting, your oil levels are fine, and the noise doesnt match the rpm increase when you rev your car - whens its warm - then youre good

edit - i reread your post, and you said it goes away once the car is warm, then youre fine, you gotta remember the temp indicator in the car doesnt read all the peripherals, the belts, the alternator, so it takes at least 10-15 minutes of running or idling to get up to "normal" temps ...

Last edited by drjesus616; 02-04-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 AM

I hear yah, I'm only five minutes away from chicago and my car was parked along the building (fearing if parked on the curb then I will get plowed in)... I know that sound disappear after the engine is warm. I have remote start so I do let my car warm-up so the fluids are all at operating temp (so I think). I was thinking "maybe by my car having 130' on the dash is wear and tear". But who knows, I don't want the problem to progress and I have the money to get it repaired (when the refund comes back...LOL)

Here are some pics of how my car was submerged under snow and other vehicles

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Thornton-20110201-00249.jpg (94.8 KB, 13 views)
Thornton-20110201-00250.jpg (93.5 KB, 14 views)
Thornton-20110202-00255.jpg (91.8 KB, 13 views)
Thornton-20110202-00256.jpg (91.4 KB, 15 views)
Thornton-20110202-00268.jpg (52.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 AM

when its this cold out, i dont even put my car into drive until its past the 1st hash mark, and then i wont go past 2500 rpms until shes at half way, which is normal operating temps ...

as long as the noise goes away once shes warm, youll be fine man,

yeah i know about the refund, i got my W2 last week, now i just need to get my lazy self on a computer with XP instead of linux like my laptop, because turbo tax doesnt recognize linux firefox ... BS !!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 AM

I am never going to put this type of sound off but now it doesn't do it no more. I will still treat it like how I was doing (leTting all the fluid levels right proper temp). Now, as for as the taxes go, don't do turbo tax because its a hold up on my refund as aspose it being mailed out instead being direct deposit....SMH! I left one tax program (taxact.com) and went to turbo tax and now I'm screwed! I don't trust the mailing system nor that company. Their "glitch" in their system misinforms the IRS of where to send your fed refund so the IRS say the hell with it and mail it out instead... It happened to me yesterday!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by rgant_19
I am never going to put this type of sound off but now it doesn't do it no more. I will still treat it like how I was doing (leTting all the fluid levels right proper temp). Now, as for as the taxes go, don't do turbo tax because its a hold up on my refund as aspose it being mailed out instead being direct deposit....SMH! I left one tax program (taxact.com) and went to turbo tax and now I'm screwed! I don't trust the mailing system nor that company. Their "glitch" in their system misinforms the IRS of where to send your fed refund so the IRS say the hell with it and mail it out instead... It happened to me yesterday!!!

i did turbotax last year, and still have the direct deposit debit card they gave me ... did my taxes on a tuesday, had the card with the entire return deposited by the following wednesday ... and they got me a few extra bucks over the standard government efile, and i didnt have to wait for like 3-8 weeks for them to mail it ... which kills me btw, they take from us every week, or every other week, all the time, but when its time to send us back OUR money, it takes a couple weeks ... effing IRS

but then again, i have a very simple return, no dependents and very little income to report ... well let me rephrase that ... one job, full time, but very little pay to be taxed or studied ... and i always donate my state tax to the vets or something anyways

Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Well that's good u are already in the clear with them. I just know they holding up my money to get my car problems repaired.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You said you got the car serviced at a Jiffy Lube, do you have the receipt? Did they use the proper weight and is it filled to the proper marks?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You said you got the car serviced at a Jiffy Lube, do you have the receipt? Did they use the proper weight and is it filled to the proper marks?
x2. With how cold it's been, the wrong weight could certainly be too thick on initial start-up.