Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Changing fuel injectors..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you swap the IAC from your old one too?

Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

After all this BS I finally swapped in my old IAC.. Started right up.

Even the simple fixes turn out to be hassles I guess.

I have to ask about the fuel injectors tho. Should any of the injectors squirt gas out? Example: I removed ONE of the injectors from the fuel rail (other 5 in the fuel rail were new) and as im pushing in the last new one, one of them squirted out gas. Is this normal or is it defective?

Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM

15 Year Member

Was the fuel rail fully disconnected? I'm curious if you added pressure to the system popping it in that it allowed some to squirt.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I have to ask about the fuel injectors tho. Should any of the injectors squirt gas out? Example: I removed ONE of the injectors from the fuel rail (other 5 in the fuel rail were new) and as im pushing in the last new one, one of them squirted out gas. Is this normal or is it defective?
I'd say that it's not normal only because I dont understand where the gas would even come from. To pull an injector youd bleed the rail either via the Schrader valve or by pulling the pump fuse and cranking the car. Plus, when you pull and injector any notable amount left would come rushing out. It should be almost completely air in the rail, so I don't understand how it would get any fuel to it without priming the pump again.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member

Uhhhhm.. I may not have changed the injectors "by the book".. Didnt bleed the rail or pull the fuse. Just flipped it upside down and pulled the injectors out, one by one, rail still full of gas.. Dont condemn me for this lol I knew what I shouldnt have been doing.

So with the rail still full of fuel, it made a slight amount of pressure when putting another injector in. I just didnt know if the injector should allow for ANY flow what so ever.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 AM

Are you talking about fuel leaking out the top of the injector when you pushed the fuel rail back down on the injector ? That is possible but there should be no fuel leaking out the bottom hole that goes into the intake. It takes a electric pulse to open the injector and release fuel. Have you tried ohming the injector and compared the reading to the others ?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Are you talking about fuel leaking out the top of the injector when you pushed the fuel rail back down on the injector ? That is possible but there should be no fuel leaking out the bottom hole that goes into the intake. It takes a electric pulse to open the injector and release fuel. Have you tried ohming the injector and compared the reading to the others ?
What youre describing that shouldnt happen, is what im talking about.. Fuel squirted out of the bottom of the injector.

Imagine this. The fuel rail is unbolted and upside down, connected to the fuel and return lines, full of fuel with 5 injectors installed. I push the last injector into the rail, pressurizing the small amount of gas left in the rail. As that last injector creates pressure in the rail, one of the injectors squirts fuel out of the "bottom" (the side that goes into the engine).

So youre saying that no matter what, there is an electric pulse needed to allow ANY gas thru the injector? I need to know if youre absolutely certain on this because now there is an issue where the seller I got these from does not want to exchange them for me. Im stuck with faulty products.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 AM

The way I understand it is fuel will not leak past the injector unless it gets pulse from the computer. It's a electric solenoid .When it happened to you it wasn't under any fuel pressure and primed its around 45-60 psi. Imagine it this way if it allows any fuel to leak without pulse the injector will be leaking the whole time. Have you put a Ohm meter across the pins to check the value between a few of them ? I certainly wouldn't want to give you any bad information so maybe Chibi , Bumpin or the Maniac will also chime in. Good luck Wht02Monte

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 05-19-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM

15 Year Member

What injectors are you working with?

Stock L67, Stock L36, a different kind?