Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Change shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Change shifter boot

Does anyone have directions on how to change the blackshifter boot??

Is there any write ups on here?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Anyone?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Haven't done it myself, but like all shift boots, probably have to remove the whole center console, shifter assembly, and then snap it out.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I seem to remember someone talking about replacing their shift boot a long time ago. But I can't find it now. Might have been a thread that was too far damaged from the old forum.

The top of the boot is just pressure fit around the shifter ****. But I'm sure you figured that part out by now.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Thanks . once the weather is noce I'm goin to try to figure it out

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM

You have to take the top part of the center console off. The bottom of shift boot is held in by a "O" shape wire type thing. Its flexible so you can bend to get the bottom off then you have to remove the shift **** its held in by a "U" clip a small flathead or something like that will work to remove the clip then just slide it off.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I can remove my shift boot with out removing anything other then the shift ****. It's not the "GM" way, but works. GM did use a couple different shift plates, so this might not work on all '00-'05 Montes. My shift plate is the one WITHOUT the gear letters next to the shifter.

- Slide the boot down from the shift ****.
- Remove the shift **** retaining pin, pull shift **** off.
- With the car off, foot on the break, move the shift down to neutral or drive (this is to get the shifter shaft in a position that give you some room).
- There is a wire frame for the boot that keeps the boot in place (you will see ridges in the front and back also involved with keeping the shift boot in place by the wire frame). The frame also has a "tab" that helps "lock" it in place. Gently squeeze the boot towards the base of it in front of the shifter shaft (dash side of the shifter shaft). If memory serves, you can then tilt, move, pivot, basically adjust that fram to a position that allows you to lift the boot straight out. You do NOT want to apply a lot of pressure when squeezing (you want the wire frame to bounce back into it's normal position for re-installation).

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM

It's actually fairly simple. First is to remove the center piece along the shift boot. You have to remove the thin piece first, which can be done with a flat screwdriver. Once that piece is out, you just unclip the center then pull out the metal piece around the shift **** and the boot slips right off.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM

i've wanted to change my boot and shifter all together. kinda tacky but i would love to have a 8 ball ****. only problem is idk how it would work with the push button to engage shifter -_- hope some day someone tackles it and post a nice how to thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I can remove my shift boot with out removing anything other then the shift ****. It's not the "GM" way, but works. GM did use a couple different shift plates, so this might not work on all '00-'05 Montes. My shift plate is the one WITHOUT the gear letters next to the shifter.

- Slide the boot down from the shift ****.
- Remove the shift **** retaining pin, pull shift **** off.
- With the car off, foot on the break, move the shift down to neutral or drive (this is to get the shifter shaft in a position that give you some room).
- There is a wire frame for the boot that keeps the boot in place (you will see ridges in the front and back also involved with keeping the shift boot in place by the wire frame). The frame also has a "tab" that helps "lock" it in place. Gently squeeze the boot towards the base of it in front of the shifter shaft (dash side of the shifter shaft). If memory serves, you can then tilt, move, pivot, basically adjust that fram to a position that allows you to lift the boot straight out. You do NOT want to apply a lot of pressure when squeezing (you want the wire frame to bounce back into it's normal position for re-installation).

Can you or someone please make a short video of this please? Or at least a step by step pictures?