Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Shift boot question.... could this work??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Default Shift boot question.... could this work??

Everybody's been so very helpful with any of my ?s with my car. I've done a few mods already and have done some things inside the car (neoprene seat covers, new stereo, headrest covers, etc).
I just bought a leather Wheelskins wheel cover for the SS (it's all red, like the car).
What I'm wondering is this- on their website, they have a universal gear shift boot for various apps (they have custom ones, but not for the MC).... it's made to match your steering wheel cover (so I'd like to get it in red to match the seats, wheel, etc).
Here's the link-
http://www.wheelskins.com/shift_boots.php#

It measures 9" high, 7 1/2" across at base, and 22" all the way around the base. I'm gonna measure out the black one on my shift and see if this would work.....
Question is, how would I get that piece off without breaking it, and where does the boot attach up on the top of the shifter "****" - is there a pic somewhere of what's under the regular leather shifting boot?
Thanks for any help!!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Shift boot question.... could this work??

Anybody have any ideas?
I'm guessing I'll just buy it and try to figure it out- I'm more worried about how to get the old one off and the new one back on the same way...

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Okay, I'll be the first one to ask and look stupid.

Which Monte do you have that has a stick shift?

Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Oh- okay, I probably wasn't clear on that in my post. Of course, it's automatic, but you know the leather boot that we have on our automatic shifters- they make a universal one that you could possibly put on there, just like the ones they make for manuals. Mine's black (from what I've seen, all the montes are black leather), I just think it would be cool to replace it with the red leather one, to match the steering wheel cover. I think it would work, but I'm not sure. Somebody told me from the company that people have done it, but it's at your own risk if it doesn't fit. I just don't know what's under that compartment area in between the seats there where the 'shifter' is....

Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 PM

the grand prix's shift boot wouldnt be the same as the montes would it? be alot better way to go if it is

Old 04-16-2007, 03:19 PM

I'm not sure about that- I'd still have to figure out how to take the old one off. I have talked to a shop- they mostly do European cars, but they do know how to go about replacing something like this. If it's tricky, I'm probably better off going with the shop.... they have a pretty good reputation for quality work no matter what the make...

Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 AM

i just went to a local store and bought a universal one....it works pretty good but it seems kinda baggy compared to the stock one.....but beware it might be a pain to do....i had troubles with mine because there is a trim that goes aroung the boot. maybe it was just me but i had some troubles getting the trim back on after the new ones installed