Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A/C won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Default A/C won't turn on

hi all. so i went to turn on the A/C today and the light on the button flashed 5 times and shut off again. obviously, there is something wrong in the system and i'm hoping it's somewhat simple. i checked all the fuses and relays so far, but i haven't go that deep into it yet.

i guess my question for you GM techs out there is: what is the AC system pressure supposed to be at? i have a hunch it could be a bad pressure sensor and i have a device at work that i can screw the sensor into and simulate a given pressure to see if the sensor is good or bad. hopefully it isn't as bad as replacing a whole condensor and/or compressor pump. the local stealership wants $131 just to diagnose the problem! flippin rediculous!!! i'll do more troubleshooting when i get a chance along with looking for a more reasonably priced auto repair shop if necessary.

any info would help, thanks everyone!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:22 AM

I hope your condenser is ok...I just had to have mine replaced. I paid $325 to have it done. Mine was losing refrigerant out the top of the condenser. Sounds like a sensor though since you are getting a flashing light. Mine just didn't blow cold and the compressor wouldn't kick on since the system was empty.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM

If the button is flashing and its not turning on ask a Gm dealer to check the HVAC codes for your car you need to have a Tech 2 scanner for this. It may just be a sensor but it could also be the control head or another electrical malfunction. Also to my knowledge a gen 7 mc will have a ambient temperature controlled a/c system, meaning if its not hot enough outside it won't turn on whether you turn it on or not.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM

mine turnes on when it is 60 degrees out side. i had the same problem it ended up being the hvac controlls that trun it to worm to cold there is a conector in side the switch that went bad dont know why but it is quite new you should not have problems with the a/c compared to older vehicles. as in parts being very worn out. have it checked as well at a place that is gm certified to acuretly know where the problem is.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
If the button is flashing and its not turning on ask a Gm dealer to check the HVAC codes for your car you need to have a Tech 2 scanner for this. It may just be a sensor but it could also be the control head or another electrical malfunction. Also to my knowledge a gen 7 mc will have a ambient temperature controlled a/c system, meaning if its not hot enough outside it won't turn on whether you turn it on or not.
as stated in my first post, i did call the dealer about this issue and yes, he said there is probably a code to be read. however, he wants $131 dollars just to pull the code. "F" that! i'll find someone else with a tech 2 and get it done for waaay less i'm sure.

the ambient air temp was 79 degrees when i discovered the problem so i'm sure it wasn't cuz it was too cold.

i'm gonna do some of my own diagnostics here this weekend when i get a chance, check system pressures, etc. it might be as simple as re-charging the system with refrigerant and stop leak additive if there is a tiny leak somewhere. i'll be back with updates.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 PM

stop leak additive is death to the a/c system and should never be used just a warning. if your engine was leaking oil would you pour glue into it to try and stop the leak? thats what a/c sealer is.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 PM

i didnt even read your post but try these things.

make sure you dont have the **** turned to the red/hot setting.
it doesnt turn on and blink like that when you dont have the fan *** on.
when you try to turn it on you should hear a click.
have someone turn it on and i think its the bottom accessory, it should make a noise and start to spin.
you really shouldnt be out of refrigerent, but do a refill.

they have those hvac dash pieces for like 35 bucks on morads or ebay.

the only time mine personally does that blinking is when i dont have the fan on and im trying to hit the a/c button.

GL

plus small shops have scanners. the guy i go to has a a bunch of mac scanners that do everything. go to small garages and ask them. usually its 35 bucks, and they/ll waive the fee if you get the work done there