Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 Monte Ignition Switch Won't Turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry 01 Monte Ignition Switch Won't Turn

Hello All! I have seen a posting about some monte's on here ignition switchs going bad. I didn't lach on to the posting because there was no desription of DIY (Do-It-Yourself). If ANY!

Well, here goes. I have been dealing with my ignition switch problem for like a 2wks - month (not able to turn the key completely without no problems) or so. So finally, it went out on me totally. I was about to get it hauled away with a tow truck but he asked if he could try something. So, he did was called a "Hard Slam" (which he put the key in the ignition and hit it with a hard flashlight, while hitting it, he was turning the key at the sametime to adjust the pins inside the switch). It worked and now I am stuck with doing that until I go by the part for $158 Chicago Price. Do anyone know how to REPLACE a ignition switch solenoid? I am trying to cut cost and know how to repair my own problems. If anyone can reply with any suggestion, I will be gladly appreciate it.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Question

Ok everybody, my car has a mind of its own. I'm solely thinking that I will have to hit the hit inorder to. Start my car. After the 2nd day of the hard slam, I am able to turn my turn my key with no problems now. Its weird I ya. But the way it looks like when I break the dash board down, the ignition switch is very easy to replace, I just want to make sure I have some guidelines on "How-To-do".

Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

From what I remember on my '01, there was a trick to it. A locksmith did mine, so I really can't say, but there is more to it than just changing the switch.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 PM

Oh that I know about it being tricky or there is more too it than just changing the switch. I know or think, that once u disconnect the harness from the switch, I think you radio locks you out and the security mode kicks in to where you can not start your vehicle period. The way its on the dash, it looks like its toooooo easy to do a self installation.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 AM

I had to replace my ignition cylinder about 2 years ago. a gm tech I know had me take the dash cover off and remove the radio. he then took my key and coded the the tumblers on new cyl. came over and released the cyl and passlock from the back side easy to do with the radio out. installed new cyl and passlock and went thru the relearning steps for the new passlock. I am pretty sure those steps are in a sticky somewhere. took about 20 mins and his cost on the cyl and passlock was $120.00.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Now jeff, that sounds reasonable about the cost and the proceedure. I figure the steps would be like but I figured it could have been a done it yourself coded first though. More than likely, I will have to take it too a gm tech so they (he) can do it. But let me get this str8, he put the key in (while the dash was broken down) and had the tumbler code the key (sorry vice versa) and that's how the tumbler was configured? Does the 01 Monte Carlo keys has a chip inside of it? The basic ignition keys look like it doesnt , unless the head of the key is very big or so. I really don't know where to find a cheap tumbler though. I am really, I mean really short on cash and I just want everything to work for a good price and with correct instructions.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by rgant_19
Now jeff, that sounds reasonable about the cost and the proceedure. I figure the steps would be like but I figured it could have been a done it yourself coded first though. More than likely, I will have to take it too a gm tech so they (he) can do it. But let me get this str8, he put the key in (while the dash was broken down) and had the tumbler code the key (sorry vice versa) and that's how the tumbler was configured? Does the 01 Monte Carlo keys has a chip inside of it? The basic ignition keys look like it doesnt , unless the head of the key is very big or so. I really don't know where to find a cheap tumbler though. I am really, I mean really short on cash and I just want everything to work for a good price and with correct instructions.

I just went thru it.....PLEASE JUST TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM DO IT. YOu are better off just paying a bit more and having it done right than to have it done cheap and then u get stranded again and have to replace it again and pay for towing and the inconvenience of being stranded. I tried to switch mine myself and my passlock wouldnt releqarn........I blew out my PCM, and had to remove my aftermarket alarm then re-install it. Big headache. Get it done right the first time.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM

, yoUmmmmmmmmmmmmmu know what 5Ringz, I will do that. You only had to suggest to me once of being safe than sorry. On top of that, I do have an aftermarket alarm on my MC as well. Right now, the switch is favoring me with acting right, but I already know I can't rely on it too long. More than likely, I. Will have it repaired this weekend (if the switch can hold out that long) because that's when I get paid. But yes, I am leaning more too letting an autherized dealer to install and configure it for me. Like you said Ringz, it beats the hassle and inconvience of being stranded.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 AM

RG- I gave my buddy a spare key to get the new cyl. tumblers coded. there is no chip in the key. I would take 5ringzs advice and get it done right . I think I rember older posts and problems with after market alarms and the passlock relearn. I was lucky to know my gm tech guy I know he saved me about $150.00 on labor and got the parts at his cost. there have been lots of cyl problems when gm put the key in the dash. then they went back to the key in the steering colum. maybe give bowtietech a pm and ask his advice. that guy would know for sure. good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Yea, I will take everybody advice with getting the job done right. Its gonna take some time for me to get the money arranged because I'm short on cash. I do thank all who have help me with my decisions. I will give bowtie a pm just because, thanks for the insight jeff.