Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Broke Down/Broke Axle?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Default Broke Down/Broke Axle?

It's funny, I was reading about someone who claimed this "thumping" was on accelartion, right turns, and going down hill. I didn't realize this one section of road is down hill and it's always worse there.
Anyways, I had big plans last night w/ my GF, I was all cleaned up and ready to go, I got on the toll way and cruzed about 65mph, it was going very well until I had to stop @ a toll booth, after I paid and took off @ any speed was horrible!! The shaking was uncontrolable!! I didn't know what to think, it took like forever to reach 55mph! I just replaced the bearings, and the tierods...what could this be?
I reached my exit and found out I couldn't drive any further, OMGosh was it bad! MY friend lives close and I called him, he looked @ it and said I got a bad bearing but I bought the good one, it had to be the CV joints...right? is there anything in the trans that goes bad? To me the CV joint was loose but I don't have too much experiance w/ them.
Am I on the right track?
Thanks,
Mouse

Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When CV joints are going bad they usually click on turns. If you can move it around from side to side or anything I would say it was bad.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is there grease everywhere?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When the bearing was put in, was it tightened down all the way? Was the axle nut also tightened all the way (I use an impact gun to put the axle nut on). I'd consider taking a look at those items first. To do so, just get the car in the air, take the wheel off. The axle nut is a "Kepts nut" if I recall (slightly oblong to have a strong grip on the axle shaft so it does not back away). But if something was not properly tightened, in theory, I suppose it could come loose, cause the axle to not seat in the hub assembly properly, thus not making proper contact to transfer power to the wheels.

Basically, re-check what was last done, ensure it's all still there and together. WIggle the wheels with the car in the air.

Also, ensure the transmission has proper fluid in it. And as Chibi asked, do you see grease anywhere? The CV booats are filled with grease, if the boot has any damage that compromises that seal, grease will be sprayed EVERYWHERE in the wheel well.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM

I have a lot to say on this repair.
1) It was the CV joint that was bad.
2) The cost was only $57 for a whole new axle...well one side.
3) No, there wasn't grease evey where.
4) The repair took 3 hrs, should have been 1.5-2.
5) My Hanes book was wrong, this site was wrong and Auto Zone was wrong about how to repair this.
6) The other side needs to be done but it can wait til the morning or next week.
7) The one thing that was all wrong was the axle sliding thru the hole, removing the ball joint didn't do anything to help me, I had to loosen the strut. It took an hr to figure that one out... Glad it's done!
Inside the inner boot was water, the grease was shot, one of the "*****" (I don't know the name of it) had all the bearings out of it....lots of play compared to the new one. I'm looking forward to getting the other side done b/c I still have a small "wiggle" in the front end.
I have to say, I love this car, it's easy to work on and parts are fairly cheap. I do like the correct instructions but figuring things out on my own is who I am.
Thanks to all you guys/gals I don't feel all alone w/ the work.
Mouse
I named my SS Loraine, after my aunt.