Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bright and Dim switch broke!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Default Bright and Dim switch broke!

hey all,

Recently my lever broke that changes the lights from bright to dims on my 02 Monte. The main problem right now is that they are stuck on bright, and I can't change them. When i pull back the *** it doesn't "click" to change to dims. I am pretty sure there is some switch in there that broke. So my question is, how do I get to the inside of the steering column to switch it to dims for nowuntil i can get it fixed? Iheard that i have to take the steering wheel off, but how can i do thissafelywithout theairbag blowing up in myface? Thanks,

Pm

Old 12-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Bright and Dim switch broke!

Moved this thread from the DIY section, into the general tech section. Hopefully this will get you a better response.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 PM

In a pinch ... you can Pull your High Beam Light Bulbs and "Jumper" some leads over to the Low Beams to have the Car run on Low Beams. When a switch like that goes South ... the best solution is to replace the broken switch with a whole new assembly.

Since you have to deal with Pulling the Steering Wheel and maybe all the surrounding plastic ... and the wiring inside the column is sensitive to Anti-Theft with a Vehicle Immobilizer System which has some of its wiring right where you'll need to be working ... there's a good chance you might have the car wind-up at a Dealership anyway ... even if you are lucky enough to invade the steering column and get the switch swapped-out.

The moment you upset the Ignition Switch Wiring, in any way ... the Car will think its being tampered with and the Immobilizer Function will make it impossible to start the car without presenting the Whole Car and an Ignition Key to the Technician who will have to reset the Immobilizer System.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:00 PM

ouch a house call...and u expect takin it to a dealer to b expensive

Old 12-26-2007, 01:04 AM

Go in and see what the story is. At least he can say that he's a member, here ... and, that he know the problem has been experienced by other members ... maybe only one, namely me ... and "It seems to be a widespread issue and that he's like to have an Area Rep speak to him about having the problem fixed under Warranty." OK ... its a longshot. Worth a try.
Either way, it's going to have to get fixed or there might be a Ticket issued to him for "Failure to Dim" ... Blinding oncoming drivers ... not good!

Haynes has the procedure for getting in there. But, there are multiple Cautions on dealing with that Airbag. I'd would ... at the very least ... call a Dealership and find-out how much they charge for having a Trained Guy do the job.

The Airbag issue and possible Immobilization Activation should be impetus enough to drop a dime on the Dealership, speak to a service adviser and talk with him about the possible setbacks you could experience if you decide to tackle this job on your own.

Review the Haynes Manual Section on this and get a handle on what its going to take to replace the Assembly. Then, weight the risks against your skill and make an educated decision!