Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

crazy cluster lights

Old 12-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Default crazy cluster lights

tried to search, so i hope this isn't a duplication....

03LS suddenly has developed a wierd one. when the auto sensor turns on the headlights the instrument cluster lights go out. PRNDL and radio go very, very dim to the point of unreadable. during bright light when the auto switch doesn't kick in all work fine. turning on headlights manually under this condition doesn't affect the cluster lights.

anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

Old 12-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: crazy cluster lights

Welcome to the site Ted! Glad to have you here.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but the headlight switch is also your dash dimmerswitch.
It sounds like it's turned all the way to the left (the dimmest position). Try twisting your headlight switch clockwise. This should brighten your dash lights and radio display also. If you turn it all the way to the right, you'll feel an obvious click. This turns on the interior lights (the lights that come on when you open the door). Adjust the **** so that it's turned all the way clockwise, but just before the click.

Hope this helps. If not, you may need to replace your switch.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:32 AM

i left myself open for that one. no, the dimmer is not turned down. the dashboard switch seems to work correctly. it is when the auto sensor turns the head lights on that the problem occurs. the dim lights are not affected by turning the dimmer one way or the other. this problemmay be directly related to the dashboard switch itself, that is what i'm trying to find out - any hints, any experiences.....

Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 AM

Hi Ted, & Welcome to the MCF
It's difficult to give a solution to your problem by
just reading your words, but here's a suggestion.
Try checking the wiring for damage and or bad connections, especially the ground wires. There also may be a faulty switch or control relay.
Many of our expert members have not been online due to the holidays. Please be patience, and I'm sure you will get more
replies. Good Luck `Space
Happy Holidays