Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Brake Caliper bolts HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Brake Caliper bolts HELP!!

trying to find Rear caliper bolts for my 06 Monte! autozone and kragen does not have them. I am looking all over the internet but the ones popping up online are either front caliper bolts or WRONG entirely! can anybody give me any hints as to how to find these? and please do not say the manufacturer because id like to find them online TODAY so i can hopefully enjoy my weekend!

This is the EXACT bolt I need...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ResizedImage_1386209348932.jpg (97.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most parts stores sell the caliper pins, not sure about the bolts. I assume this is the bolt that holds the bracket to the spindle?
That type of a bolt (flange bolt) in my experience is typically a dealer item.

These are the options I see:
- Dealer
- Junk Yard (as I'm sure other models of Monte and Impala use the same bolt)
- Go to the hardware store, instead of a flange bolt, get a bolt long enough with a washer (not sure if this is a hardened bolt or not). Should not be a big deal if it's threaded all the way up.

Piece of advice, get Loc-Tite. Those bolts can come loose, even tightened pretty hard (I've had it happen, only to find the shop book tells you to use a thread locker). I've used Red Loc-Tite with no issues (and I can remove the hardware by hand without using heat).

Best of luck!!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Have you tried NAPA? They are better at having parts that are considered "Dealer Only Parts" !

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks maniac, I think this stupid bolt is going to be harder to find than i thought.. I BELIEVE ive found it here:

SUSPENSION/REAR. Fits: 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo | Tonkin Online Parts

(Item 21)

but im not going to pay 25 dollars for a part that will take up to 4 days to process... guess ill try the hardware store tomorrow. I was considering putting anti-seize in before i re installed the calipers, but i use loc-tite on my weapons and once you add that stuff to a bolt and screw it in, there's no way your getting it out.. is that really something you would consider??

Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM

If it doesnt work out i can get you the bolts

Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zell
i use loc-tite on my weapons and once you add that stuff to a bolt and screw it in, there's no way your getting it out.. is that really something you would consider??
YES! And the GM Shop Book instructs you to use it. I had to replace a front caliper bracket bolt on the Monte (had to get it at the dealer) and the OEM bolt from the dealer comes of a dry version of Loc-Tite on it already.

Based on about 3 instances of brake calipers that use a bracket having a bolt back out, I won't do a brake job on this type of setup without loc-tite. Search the Internet, all manufacturers, Ford, Dodge, etc, at least one person has a post claiming a brake caliper bracket bolt fell out. Given it happened to me personally and I know how tight they were installed, yeah, it's important.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Default bolt

You could visit a Chevy dealer and have them pull the bolt up for your car and if they don't carry a replacement on their parts shelf, another GM dealership in the local area may have one on their parts shelf if this a a common replaced item.
Get the part number for your bolt and check with other GM dealers.
The cars service manual may specify replacing these bolts rather than reusing the original when brake work is done and the bolts could be on their parts shelf.
My Chev dealer has had parts the next day when I ordered.