Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: ABS and Trac Control sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ABS and Trac Control sensors

I was headin down to Kentucky to college and about 90 miles down the road, my traction control kept coming on and causing my cruise control to turn off (It was a dry sunny day). Then, all the sudden I get a message saying service traction control and another saying service brake assist. I turn traction control off and I have no problems.

Does anybody think this is something I should be concerned about and get immediately checked?

Old 11-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

When it comes on you have no abs, I went for over a year with my check abs light on. Your best bet would be to replace the wheel bearings and then check the wires running up the inner frame from the back of the bearings where the abs wheel speed sensor connects to the bearing, it is a clip in piece, sometimes the wires themselves break causing a bad connection along the frame, most of the times new wheel bearings will solve your problem as they come with the new sensor. If buying off of ebay buy Timken bearings as they are the best and will set you back about $200 for a pair of them, you need to know if it is front or rear that is causing the problem as your rear wheel bearings also have the sensors and can cause the warning lights.

The weird part is that when mine were a problem, when I tried turning the traction control off with the switch it didn't make a difference, so hopefully it's not in the switch itself

Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 PM

I forgot to mention that the problem is intermitent. Somedays, it will go just fine without even showing the sensors. Thats why I've been thinking the sensor is just bad

Old 11-29-2014, 08:29 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Mine also started off as intermittent and then finally stayed on all the time. It initially started when I would wash it, and then when I would hit a bump when turning, it was at first the wires had corroded and broken, replaced them and it worked great for a couple months and then it started again, I should have changed the bearings at the same time as fixing the wires looking back. You can buy just new sensors off of ebay for around $20 plus shipping and may solve your problem

Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Well I'll have to drive on it for 2 more weeks as I'm heading back to college to finish off the semester. Sounds like it'll be a small time killer over winter break.

Just out of curiosity, would it be worth the time to see if O'reillys or Autozone could hook up a computer to it and see if they find anything?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If you use an obdII scanner you will get the code that tells you exactly which wheel speed sensor it is so you can just fix the one spot needed, but..........(yes there is always a but lol) it is probably in your best interest to fix or replace either both front or rear as you are into the job anyways and you can pretty much guarantee that the opposite one will go shortly after you fix the one

Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here is a link to the OBDII codes and what each code means as far as what is wrong

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...de-list-17144/