Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

abs sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default abs sensor

my 02 monte trips the trac control system almost every time i go from a standing start [growling noise] even in reverse[rarely] when driving in stop and goa lot of times the abs kicks on like i'm on ice and i almost run into people. about 6 months ago the gm dealer scanned the car and replaced the right front hub with internal sensor. car worked fine for 2 months thenthisproblem has gradually gotten more frequent.did the sensor go bad after 2monthsI hope some gm service aces see this and give me reply. thanksin advance.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Default RE: abs sensor

well i'm not an ace but buy the time i get done with my olds alero i will be , strange to here a monte is having this problem, what i have seen on most web sights is it doesnt matter high dollar or low dollar hub bearings/internal sesnsors dont last very long on my 3rd hub/bearing change with this olds, first one i got autozone, timken 1 year waranty. its was april when i put it in, end of june trac lite, service vech soon lite, and the abs lite would comeon every so often, bought a national brand bearing/hub, for the opposite side thinking that would fix it, nope!! ended up buying a actron brake scanner ,it told me the right wheel speed sensor(timken) accesive vibration! ,put the old one in from the left side back in until the new one from autozone came in, not once did any lights come. still put new one in andkept old one for spare, one thing i hope that your mechanic did is replace the drive axle nuts with new ones, gm has upgraded to wider based nut takes less torq(173 ftlbs) compared to the oldstyle(284 ft lbs)the new style part number is 10289657, it is light gray in color.
over tighting, could cause problems,might be a different hub going out have them scan it again! should be under warranty if its gm brand.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Default RE: abs sensor

My abs light and traction control would kick off when I'd hit my brakes. I know what you mean like you're floating on ice. Ended up taking it to the dealer and the wire assembly and passenger's side hub was bad. The wires were brittle due to heat and the wire to the control sensor was completely snapped off! Check the sensor and the wires running to the hub to ensure they're still there/working. Otherwise, that wire assembly might need to be replaced. Cost me about $550 and that was with a discount...........[:@]