Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS Light/trac off - Replacing Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation ABS Light/trac off - Replacing Speed Sensor - HELP PLEASE

ABS light came on, Traction Control Off
Getting an ABS code taking me to rear wheel bearing, No slop or play in wheel.
The bearing it self is fine, even had my tire guy check it out, I realize in hindsight I should have replaced the sensor when the wheels were off car but I didn't have the part at the time.
In my online research i've heard horror stories of people replacing multiple bearing and hub assemblies with no resolution to the issue.
My intention is to replace just the speed sensor first, seems like a pretty inexpensive DIY if it saves me replacing the whole bearing and hub, But i've also read of people having open circuits in the wiring harness that goes to this sensor. Anyone having Similar issues, or know of any fixes

The codes im getting are C1234-Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Open or Shorted,
C1216- EBCM Commanded Pressure Release is Too Long,
C1223 -Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal = 0,
C1227-Left Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Sensor Variation

Edit:
Been searching the forums for some answers, some are saying i cant replace just the speed sensor and that i have to replace whole hub assembly, does anyone know for sure? I would like to know if its possible to replace just sensor. Also i've been scouring the net looking for a replacement wiring harness, but i am only able to find front left and right ABS speed sensor harnesses. Does anyone know where i can Find the Rear Speed Sensor Wiring Harness, or are they interchangeable with the front. Someone Please help, everyone else issues seem to be related to front end, can't find much for info on rear.... Even the Dealership cant help me find Rear Harness,

Last edited by Henderson21; 06-30-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member

anyone? Thoughts comments?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 AM

Replace left rear hub assembly. The speed sensor alone can not be replaced, must replace whole hub. As for the c1216, the speed sensor may not be the cause of that but it will get rid of the other 3.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

As mentioned, the sensor is an integral part of the hub assembly. Before rushing out and purchasing a hub though I'd inspect/test the driver side rear harness for damage. Pay particular attention to the first few inches where it connects to the hub. This is a common area for the wire to fail from movement. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can repair the wire(s).

Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks guys this really helped me out
I will check the wiring harness tonight
If it is the wiring harness do you know if the front harnesses are interchangeable with the rear
I can only find the front harness online and even dealer couldn't source rear harness

Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM

I just looked up that C1216 code as well. Looks like a bad wheel speed sensor COULD be the cause of it. If after replacing the wheel speed sensor the code is still a current fault then most likely you will have to replace the BPMV(brake pressure modulating valve) which is bolted to the EBCM(electronic brake control module).

Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM

can you shoot me your vin #,,,,, maybe I can work my magic with the GM parts catalog

Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by steelmalu43
can you shoot me your vin #,,,,, maybe I can work my magic with the GM parts catalog
thanks steel, that'd be greatly appreciated.
2G1WX12K559301461
I tried sourcing the part, Everyone find front harness, but not rear.
Also Darkside, your input was a big help, I'm really Hoping the command pressure code goes away once i get the sensor/bearing issue worked out. Really don't wanna put a whack of money into this. I can drive w/o abs, lots of cars that dont have it.

Thanks Again Everyone

Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM

ok,, This is what I came up with

Your rear hub is a part number 12413091
per GM it says for mating connector with leads use part number 12167117
Part number 12167117 is the connector that plugs INTO the connector that is on the hub.
The rear hub in the catalog is described "With wheel speed sensor"

Let me know if this helps,,, I punched 12167117 onto ebay and it comes up with a pic

Last edited by steelmalu43; 07-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member

Steel, 03SS and darkside,
You guys have been a great help.
Pulled the wheel off tonight.
Tried "the wiggle test" and cycled the power a couple times, managed to clear the signal on one attempt.
Ohmmed out the wires in the harness, cut back about an inch at first, then another inch and half before i got continuity.
I can solder but I'm not that talented. Hahaha
Ordered the new harness tonight with part# Steelmalu got for me.

Thanks again guys, just saved me the cost of a whole new bearing and hub.
The wallet and Monte Thank you.

Great Rides guys.

Quick Reply: ABS Light/trac off - Replacing Speed Sensor