Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

96 Monte carlo battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Default 96 Monte carlo battery problem

I have a 96 3.1 L MOnte carlo and a couple of days ago I shut it off and tried to start it again a few minutes later. It acted like the battery was dead. I completely had the battery charged and checked at my local autozone. It tested good. I then had my alternator tested and it came up bad. I replaced my alternator and it worked fine for a day. After that it will occasionally, about once a day, act like the battery is completely dead and it will not start. The clock reverts to 1:00 and it works great after a quick jump, no charging time. It then will happen again the next day. Does anyone have any ideas? $5 paypal to the first to give me the right answer.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Default RE: 96 Monte carlo battery problem

haha welcome to the forum. Our advice is free, don't worry. Check to make sure you don't have anything drawing on the battery such as a starter, or maybe the lead to the alternator is bad? Make sure when you shut your car off, the ignition lock cylinder is pointed to off. (seems silly, but it's worth a check) There are other members who are more knowledgable than I, so be patient and I'm sure you will receive an answer shortly! Also, checkfor corrosion around your battery termimals.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 PM

How old is the battery
I would say its a cell in the battery going bad

Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 AM

The battery is fairly new and I just had it tested, it tested normal.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM

I have seen a few batteries that will test good,but intermittently will discharge do to an issue with one of the cells. When your Monte is in its "no start" condition do you have any power at all....lights,radio,blower motor,etc. ??

Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 AM

When it is not starting there is absolutely no power to anything and the clock reverts to 1:00. It then starts within seconds of jumping it, like there is still plenty of power in my battery. Its just weird to go from a completely dead battery that woon't even run my clock to one that starts right after connincting jumper cables. Also sometime it actually starts then dies like 3 seconds later and gives me no power at all.

I really appreciate all the help please keep it coming.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 PM

here is a life lesson to everyone who ever has a battery problem. Tighten the contacts. THat was the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 PM

I would have won the $5.00 if I had checked-in sooner. I was going to suggest that the Battery Contacts were oxidized and that you should disconnect them and wire brush them clean and then apply a smear of dielectric grease on the Hot and Ground Terminal and be sure to TIGHTEN them down because your symptoms are such that the Battery Terminals are not tight and you are getting no current from one or both being loose.

Damn ... could have used that 5-Bucks; too!

Look at it this way ... you're back in action and you saved 5-Bucks and more by figuring it out yourself and not taking it in for an hours labor just to have had a Tech check the Battery Connections ... first!