Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): '95 3.1 Liter: Hard start when car is shut off if check engine light is on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Default '95 3.1 Liter: Hard start when car is shut off if check engine light is on.

Sorry about the long title, but the problem isn't easily explained in a few words. This is really a part two of a previous thread about problems with my car. I felt it was necessary to start a new thread since a few things have happened since then and it might make this a little more easier to read.
Here's a link to the old thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...en-dies-40238/

Anyway, here goes.

The car runs fine under 45 mph. Once I hit anything higher than that, it continues to run smoothly with no problems. Once I start to decelerate from that speed though the check engine light turns on. I can continue to run my car just fine if it remains on. This has happened since I've owned the car. Never any trouble, so I played it off.

Recently after some repairs I've had made, the car finally decided to act on the check engine light. If the check engine light is on (due to the conditions I described above) and I turn the car off, the car is unable to start or stalls vigorously right after. I have to wait some time, 10 - 30 minutes, before the car will actually start.

So some things I know it isn't: cat converter, crank position sensor, alternator, fuel filter, battery, starter.

Some suggestions: possibly iac, maf, fuel pump, resonator.

P.S. Can't scan for codes because my sensor is supposed to have 12 receiver prongs and mine is missing 10 of them. Not sure where they are, it's been suggested to me that this could be the problem.