Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1st Gen ('70-'72): '72 Monte Stalls in Drive, Idles Fine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pretty cool man! you are alot braver than I am, I only watched a couple of friends of mine tear it down that far, but its been so long ago 45 years or so. It all worked when they finished up. But we didn't have the luxury of a youtube video to watch.
Hope she works good when it goes back on.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Default She runs.....

Got the rebuilt carb back on and she fired up first try. Idle is better but still close to stalling. Drops down to 10,000 rpms at idle and wants to go a little lower. Both adjustment screws were backed out 2 1/4 turns and I upped that to 3 1/4. It seems to be running less rich but I’m wondering if I should give them both another 3/4 turn open to 4 full turns and see what happens. I got some good literature with the rebuild kit that I bought and it makes tuning far easier! I’ll post a video shortly

Old 04-16-2020, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by 72MonteC
Got the rebuilt carb back on and she fired up first try. Idle is better but still close to stalling. Drops down to 10,000 rpms at idle and wants to go a little lower. Both adjustment screws were backed out 2 1/4 turns and I upped that to 3 1/4. It seems to be running less rich but I’m wondering if I should give them both another 3/4 turn open to 4 full turns and see what happens. I got some good literature with the rebuild kit that I bought and it makes tuning far easier! I’ll post a video shortly
You might be thinking 1000 rpms 10 grand is over Redline on that engine I think.
What happens on these is the Warm up when you first start them is in the solenoid and the spring will finally relax and drop of to a small idle when they first start up they might idle at 3grand and then drop off to 1K
When the car is working just right the Air-cleaner lid on that tube goes into the manifold and helps in the warming I believe there is a solenoid in the Air Cleaner lid and base.
We used to turn the top over to let it get a bit more Air and then when you get on it the sound of a WAAAAAAHHHH you will hear. There is probably a PVC valve that can be replaced too that will make a little bit of difference.
Keep me posted on the results once the weather warms up a bit that will change how the car runs too.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:41 PM

Check out this video of getting her started after the carb was reassembled and installed. I've looked through the service manual and see that the idle solenoid and found that the time delay for the high idle is set to 23 seconds. so as of right now, the fast idle at start comes up to 2000 rpm (not use to the tach reading 10 and 20, grew up with 1 and 2 so sorry for that) runs and then shifts down to about 1100-1000. at drive the idle slips down to 900. haven't gotten the chance to do any tuning with the idle and mixture screws just yet. there are a few other things that I plan to do in the coming days including but not limited to: brake booster check, compressor psi test for leaks (the rear back air ride drops significantly when put in reverse) radiator flush (after examining the coolant its very foggy plus its been quite some time since its been flushed) is a garden hose and tap water safe to flush it and what do you recommend 50/50 or standard coolant. ill keep posting as I go along... let me know if there's anything in particular anyone wants to see.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
1.mov (4.41 MB, 6 views)
2.mov (4.52 MB, 2 views)
3.mov (3.98 MB, 1 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member

This car takes the Green coolant so I would stay with that type. Get a tester to see what degree it will test down to. Then when you add the new stuff in it will be what you want.
Put in a new thermostat when you do all that. It goes in the neck on top of the Manifold remove the neck and install.
You should check where you can take the used antifreeze before you do the flush. Garden hose will work.
I have a book that tells what the car costs with options from back in 72 that I used to order the cars that I got back then. I will take a few pics so you can have that reference.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by 72MonteC
Check out this video of getting her started after the carb was reassembled and installed. I've looked through the service manual and see that the idle solenoid and found that the time delay for the high idle is set to 23 seconds. so as of right now, the fast idle at start comes up to 2000 rpm (not use to the tach reading 10 and 20, grew up with 1 and 2 so sorry for that) runs and then shifts down to about 1100-1000. at drive the idle slips down to 900. haven't gotten the chance to do any tuning with the idle and mixture screws just yet. there are a few other things that I plan to do in the coming days including but not limited to: brake booster check, compressor psi test for leaks (the rear back air ride drops significantly when put in reverse) radiator flush (after examining the coolant its very foggy plus its been quite some time since its been flushed) is a garden hose and tap water safe to flush it and what do you recommend 50/50 or standard coolant. ill keep posting as I go along... let me know if there's anything in particular anyone wants to see.
Wow she sounds really good now and starts right up.
Just for this old guy watching the video I can see better if you turn the phone on it's side and get the wide angle shot.