Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2K Monte, 3.4 fix in progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 PM
1 Year Member
Default 2K Monte, 3.4 fix in progress

So,,, I tore into my grandsons Monte, been a while since I did such major engine work,,,,especially with the newer cars,,,, got real good with the 283 Chevy. Anyway,, I have t down to the 'block' just ordered gaskets, and other components for re-assembly. My mech. friend came out, wiggled the crank back and forth, said the timing chain seems tight , no backlash. [ he did this by grabbing v-damper and turning it back and forth, as the cover is still on. ] Well , I ordered a timing chain kit, anyway,, as it was pretty cheap, and I figured a car with 200k,,,, could use a new one,,,, if it has never been done before. Can't find a YouTube video on removing the TC cover,,,, but can probably figure it out. After that,,,,, is there a good manual , to download for all the specs for torque and tightening sequences ???? Not looking for a free ride,,, would do a pay for download manual. Also, Did not label all the quick connectors during dis-assembly,,,, are they made stupid proof,,, or can you plug the wrong plug into the wrong socket ??? Will have other questions no doubt later,, thanks in advance,,,,[IMG]https://montecarloforum.com/forum/Teardown%206.jpgTeardown%206.jpg

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM

nice to see someone getting there hands dirty on a monte lol,i started doing that but I eventually tore it out and got it ready for a 3.8 swap,more reliable,stonger,more power,the connectors should be pretty simple since the 3.4 don't have a lot going on with it other than the waire harness,put the pcm back where it goes in the intake box,run and the wires will almost keep their shape and bends in it to make it easier plugging everything back in in the right spot,nost of the small connectors are all close to the throttle body

good luck on the repair,hope nothing unexpected comes up lol,mine had a spun bearing at 130k miles that's why I didn't bother fixing it

Old 06-02-2015, 08:17 PM
1 Year Member

thanks for reply KW,,,, this car,, well got hot,,,, a couple times,,, put in a new radiator,,, then it would blow white smoke,for a few minutes,, then be ok,,,, very unreliable,,,, then it just quit,,,, hoping nothing is wrong in the basement,,,do,not know if it has had any previous work,,, [ got it used last Fall ] Drives nice, ran good until recent illnesses,,, it almost went to the bone yard,, but thought for $200 or so,, I would take a gamble,,, I did a radiator flush, then pressurized the cooling system with garden hose,,, flushed again,,, then on first start,,, had a quick hydraulic incident,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ugh,,,, but ,, after clearing that, it did run again,,,,, but #2 was taking on water,,,,,, then it quit again,,,, need to figure out how to get timing cover off without tearing the skin off my hands,,,, this job tears up a guys hands,,,

Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 PM

yea mine was very hard to get off,i started to tear down my 3.4 after i got it out just ot see what it looks like in there,its about 6 bolts that's usually hidden under grease and oil and you have to take the crank pulley off,i didn't have a pulley puller so i just drilled the bolt out then it might take some prying to get the cover off,i plan to pick up a cheap wrecked monte with a 3.8 to swap,i figure 500-800 should get me a good donor car (cheaper than an engine rebuild)

that's what i was scared about,my gf drove this car hot for a month with the rod knocking so if it was running hot for long periods of time i would cross my finger,i had the same idea with this car taking it to a scrap yard but i figured buying a used engine and tranny is still less than buying a whole new car,the 3.4's just don't last that long ive seen some go to 200k miles then some go to no more than 130k miles like mine,but i hope your work pays off in the end,the monte is a very overlooked car by some but ive always taken pride in my vehicles even in the worst situations