Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 SS 3.8 with a list of issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Default 2002 SS 3.8 with a list of issues...

I just bought this car for my son, I’m hoping it just needs some love and care and it’s not a total piece of junk. Here’s what we’ve learned driving it home. Check engine light is on, and the panel says... traction control system service, low engine oil, low brake fluid. Also when you turn the car off the engine shuts down and you can remove the key but all the electronics remain on.

We stopped by autozone to get a read on the codes...
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected
P0128 Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) below thermostat regulating temperature
P0481 Cooling fan relay 2 control circuit malfunction

So I guess my question is...Where do we start? What’s the priority and needs to be addressed quickly? Also how do we turn it off without killing the battery? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-25-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wickedrocknasty
I just bought this car for my son, I’m hoping it just needs some love and care and it’s not a total piece of junk. Here’s what we’ve learned driving it home. Check engine light is on, and the panel says... traction control system service, low engine oil, low brake fluid. Also when you turn the car off the engine shuts down and you can remove the key but all the electronics remain on.

We stopped by autozone to get a read on the codes...
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected
P0128 Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) below thermostat regulating temperature
P0481 Cooling fan relay 2 control circuit malfunction

So I guess my question is...Where do we start? What’s the priority and needs to be addressed quickly? Also how do we turn it off without killing the battery? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!
Okay so the Traction system. I would say 90% sure you need to replace the speed sensor harness on the front wheels. Its an easy fix and its just wear and tear from turning etc.

Is the car actually low on those fluids?

The electronics (the stereo) will remain on until a door is opened.

P0306 Could be the coil pack, wire, plug, or injector.

P0481 Does the fan run at all times when the engine warms up? If so the thermostat may be stuck. I would check the relay. If not the relay then the fan may need to be replaced.

P0128 In my opinion this should be you first check. First make sure you have enough coolant. Replace the thermostat as it could be stuck.

Once i have a little extra time ill add some part numbers and such.

Last edited by Jason B; 07-25-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanks so much for your time and info. We decided to start with the thermostat and fan relay switch. The fans on the radiator aren’t running at all. Also the fluids were low but the brake fluid didn’t seem low enough to warrant a warning. The electronics even stay on after opening the doors, it seems to happen most during the day when it’s really hot, we have to disconnect the battery to get it turned off completely. It doesn’t seem to happen much at night when it cools down. We’re going to get to work on it this weekend, fingers crossed we can start getting it in good again, I always loved the Monte Carlo. Thanks again!