Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Temp Gauge Doesnt Move - Fan Staying On - PLEASE Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Default Temp Gauge Doesnt Move - Fan Staying On - PLEASE Help

Greetings.

Thank you in advance for reading this post. I stumbled upon this website and I am hoping for help.

My temperature gauge reads COLD, it does not move from the sub 140 degree mark.

Here is what I have done so far:

Replaced the coolant temperate sensor - TWICE
Brand new radiator
Brand new water pump
Full coolant system flush

After my trip to the mechanic today, 2nd coolant temp sensor, still the problem exists. My coolant temperate gauge does not move, and my fan turns on as soon as the car starts and DOES NOT turn off and runs for about 10 minutes after the car turns off. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

The only thing I have not replaced yet is the Thermostat because I HAVE VERY HOT HEAT. Although, maybe I should do it anyway? Your thoughts?

On the drive home from the mechanic today, my check engine light came on. I took it to Auto Zone and they told me its an Oxygen Sensor (not sure I believe this, I think its related to the temperate problem).

Some posts tell me its the thermostat and some posts say its the "computer" and I have big problems.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Domenic
domenicricci1@gmail.com

Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

There are a few things we need to know before there could be any possible help.

That year Monte?
What engine?
Have you done any mods to it?

Once we know that, we can start helping.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks JJsRYD

Its a 2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 Engine, with ZERO modifications.

I just went out and bought the thermostat and gasket but could not turn the nuts to remove the current one, as I guess they were "airgunned" on previously. Either that, or I am just not that strong...............

Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea mine was doing the same thing a few weeks ago, the thermostat was bad, replaced it and im good. And its hard to get the nuts off of it, just gotta push hard without stripping them haha. Like once you turned off your car did the fans run for a good 15 mins?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Enzo354 - thanks for writing!

Yes, exactly! the fan runs for a good 10 minutes after the car turns off.

From everything I have read, I am thinking the thermostat is the problem. Everyone is saying the same thing, and everyone is saying they had the same experience.

Here is what threw me off............I always figured if I got heat, it wasn't the thermostat. The heat is VERY hot so I thought all was good. So I just kept replacing the sensor. Was your heat hot also???

Old 12-28-2009, 08:53 PM

any other tips for getting the nuts off. I like the tip about pressing down hard.......what about spraying wd-40? perhaps you can recommend a better tool? The tool I was using was a $7.99 tool set so probably not able to get enough torque.

I am worried my ignorance is going to make me sound foolish. Dont make fun guys...........I know I am challenged......

THANKS!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Haha its fine lol, just try getting it out. And the heat is from the engine using the same coolant and its warming up, and i think the coolant temp sensor isnt on the engine itself.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Final verdict: The thermostat fixed it all! Temp gauge works, check engine light is off, fan runs normally. Happy day!

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Too late for this post.

But a tip. Never use WD-40 to "loosen" a nut. It's a lubricator, which can make your tools slip. If you use something like WD-40 or PB-Blaster to loosen a bolt, just shoot it down with brake cleaner after you let it penetrate for a little while. This will clean off the lubrication and make it so your tools will grip better.

Also, you knew how to take the engine cover off of your car to make it easier to access the thermostat correct??

Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM

chibiblacksheep - thanks for your post!

I took the cover off, just couldnt get the bolts loose. Took it to my mechanic today and he changed the thermostat in no time. I do not mess around with this car, or any car, best to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

thanks for the tips about the WD-40. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Doesnt Move - Fan Staying On - PLEASE Help