Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Won't start - may be possessed...LOL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Unhappy 2002 Monte Carlo SS - Won't start - may be possessed...LOL

This is the craziest thing I have ever in my life encountered, even more crazy than when the security system shuts my fuel pump off and I have to do the 10 minute re-set thing...

Ok, last night my bf goes to start the car, when he turned the key in the ignition the headlights started flashing, very dim, and this horrible thumping noise appeared to be coming from the speakers on the radio...even after taking the key out of the ignition, the noise and flashing VERY dim lights continued...then shut of within 30 seconds. I go out and open the door and notice that the inside lights do not come on when I open the door....nor does the bell start dinging when I put the key in the ignition (with door open)...the minute I turn the key, the dim lights start flashing and the thumping noise is being generated thru the radio speakers, (turning radio off/down does nothing to this noise)...

So, I shut the door and begin to quickly back away from the car cause by now I'm conveinced it is possessed....then I go in the house and yell at my son (I too feel possesed at this point) because he had been sitting in the car talking to his girlfriend on the phone. listening to the radio...so I immediately think he has run my battery down......he informs me that he didn't sit out there with the key on for 45 minutes...he would just turn the key on and back off and the radio would do the thing where it plays for like 10 minutes without shutting off (unless you open the door - not sure its actually 10 minutes either)....

I go back out - my inside lights come on and the bell starts dinging when I put the key in the ignition (again with the door open NO WAY am I shutting the door while I'm inside of this crazy possessed car..lol)...but when I turn the key, the lights dim, flash and the horrible thumping begins again...

SO, is it possible that my battery is run down "just enough" not to start? or has my security system totally gone nuts??? Or is this something totally new....and CHEAP (please say its cheap) to fix?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 AM

It could be the BCM (Body Control Module) these frequently go out in these cars. And the word "posessed" is exactly how I have heard the car described when the BCM goes. It's a little box under the dash that controls most of the electronics of the car. I have heard that it's anywhere from $300 to $600 to replace. I guess it depends on the dealer. But start simple with battery and such first. By the way I also have a 2002 SS. Very good year lol

Last edited by MonteMan92; 10-26-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have the ability to jump the car? That will tell you really fast if it's the battery.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Do you have the ability to jump the car? That will tell you really fast if it's the battery.

It was in fact, the battery....thanks so much for all the help and the quick responses...

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah these cars have a high CCA to get them to start.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM

yep.....if the battery is low and you pull out the headlight switch......the speakers will let you know......GM thinks of everything<grin>

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 AM

I'm having the EXACT same problem as ABLOND. I have the battery on a charger right now, I'll let you guys know how I make out with it!

UPDATE: My problem was indeed the battery. I put it on a trickle charger for 2 days and that did the trick. Looks like my $500 part (BCM) just turned into a $75 part (new battery) YAAAAY!

Last edited by 02MCLS; 02-23-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: update