Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   2002 Monte Carlo SS - Won't start - may be possessed...LOL (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/2002-monte-carlo-ss-wont-start-may-possessed-lol-31762/)

ABLOND 10-26-2011 07:00 AM

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Won't start - may be possessed...LOL

This is the craziest thing I have ever in my life encountered, even more crazy than when the security system shuts my fuel pump off and I have to do the 10 minute re-set thing...

Ok, last night my bf goes to start the car, when he turned the key in the ignition the headlights started flashing, very dim, and this horrible thumping noise appeared to be coming from the speakers on the radio...even after taking the key out of the ignition, the noise and flashing VERY dim lights continued...then shut of within 30 seconds. I go out and open the door and notice that the inside lights do not come on when I open the door....nor does the bell start dinging when I put the key in the ignition (with door open)...the minute I turn the key, the dim lights start flashing and the thumping noise is being generated thru the radio speakers, (turning radio off/down does nothing to this noise)...

So, I shut the door and begin to quickly back away from the car cause by now I'm conveinced it is possessed....then I go in the house and yell at my son (I too feel possesed at this point) because he had been sitting in the car talking to his girlfriend on the phone. listening to the radio...so I immediately think he has run my battery down......he informs me that he didn't sit out there with the key on for 45 minutes...he would just turn the key on and back off and the radio would do the thing where it plays for like 10 minutes without shutting off (unless you open the door - not sure its actually 10 minutes either)....

I go back out - my inside lights come on and the bell starts dinging when I put the key in the ignition (again with the door open NO WAY am I shutting the door while I'm inside of this crazy possessed car..lol)...but when I turn the key, the lights dim, flash and the horrible thumping begins again... :(

SO, is it possible that my battery is run down "just enough" not to start? or has my security system totally gone nuts??? Or is this something totally new....and CHEAP (please say its cheap) to fix?

MonteMan92 10-26-2011 07:56 AM

It could be the BCM (Body Control Module) these frequently go out in these cars. And the word "posessed" is exactly how I have heard the car described when the BCM goes. It's a little box under the dash that controls most of the electronics of the car. I have heard that it's anywhere from $300 to $600 to replace. I guess it depends on the dealer. But start simple with battery and such first. By the way I also have a 2002 SS. Very good year lol :)

ChibiBlackSheep 10-26-2011 08:12 AM

Do you have the ability to jump the car? That will tell you really fast if it's the battery.

ABLOND 10-26-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 376288)
Do you have the ability to jump the car? That will tell you really fast if it's the battery.

It was in fact, the battery....thanks so much for all the help and the quick responses...

ChibiBlackSheep 10-26-2011 09:30 AM

Yeah these cars have a high CCA to get them to start.

johnniep 10-27-2011 02:18 PM

yep.....if the battery is low and you pull out the headlight switch......the speakers will let you know......GM thinks of everything<grin>

02MCLS 02-21-2012 07:09 AM

I'm having the EXACT same problem as ABLOND. I have the battery on a charger right now, I'll let you guys know how I make out with it!

UPDATE: My problem was indeed the battery. I put it on a trickle charger for 2 days and that did the trick. Looks like my $500 part (BCM) just turned into a $75 part :thumbsup:(new battery) YAAAAY!