Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Possessed Monte

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Possessed Monte

Ok...I am having a ton of issues with my 2002 SS. It's got 106,000 miles and just started doing some strange things. When I start it up the Cruise light lights up in the dash and the A/C compressor clicks on and off even though the switch is off. Also the Driver info thing by the sunroof won't turn on. This is all solved by turning the fan motor switch from 0 to a speed setting. As soon as I do that the cruise light goes off and the DIC comes on. Also my keyfob hardly ever works anymore and when it does the horn does not do it's usual honk but very weird fast and short honks. I have already replaced the keyfob battery so I am pretty sure it isn't that. I have had a couple strange electrical issues come and go but nothing like this. The car had a remote start box under the dash when I bought it but I took it out because I heard they can cause issues and I didn't have the remote for it anyway. The car has some codes stored. One is for the cruise circuit and it has a couple communication malfunction codes. Help! Any input is appreciated. The dealer said they think it could be a wiring issue but I don't want to pay them for hours of wire tracing if I don't have to.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First thing I would do is check all fuses.

If you're good with the fuses, I would check ALL the wiring by where the remote start box was. If that turns out good then the fun begins.

I would start checking all wiring by the DIC (driver information center), HVAC (fan speeds), cluster and under the dash.

It sounds like some wires may be crossed.

You could also check the relays, possibly an A/C relay?

If you haven't taken the dash off before, here's my video on how to do it:

Any other questions, feel free to ask, maybe someone else will have an idea as to what may be wrong also, but with wiring it could be a lot of different things.

Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
First thing I would do is check all fuses.

If you're good with the fuses, I would check ALL the wiring by where the remote start box was. If that turns out good then the fun begins.

I would start checking all wiring by the DIC (driver information center), HVAC (fan speeds), cluster and under the dash.

It sounds like some wires may be crossed.

You could also check the relays, possibly an A/C relay?

If you haven't taken the dash off before, here's my video on how to do it:

How to Remove a 00-05 Monte Carlo Dash-red04montels-HD - YouTube

Any other questions, feel free to ask, maybe someone else will have an idea as to what may be wrong also, but with wiring it could be a lot of different things.

Good Luck!
Thank you for the reply! I looked at fuses and wires and all looks ok. I went to the dealer and discussed it with the service manager and the first thing he said was it sounds like the BCM. I have an appointment for them to look at it on monday. They said the BCM is $245 and to put it in is an hours labor. They also said I should get it diagnosed first and that is another $100. I just paid them $100 for them to say the cruise module is going bad and I don't think that is causing all of these issues. So I am kind of mad I have to pay two diagnostic fees for the same problem. Anyway...thank you again.

P.S. That video was extremely helpful!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Well I took her to the dealer. She even has them stumped. They said they had three techs look at her and none of them has an idea of what is wrong. They are keeping her overnight. Not sure what to think at this point.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Ok.....dealer said it is the ignition switch. I ordered a new one and I am replacing it tomorrow. I really hope this fixes it!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 AM

I have heard some of those same problems with some guys around here and they just have a autobody place but a "mod" or whatever instead of replacing the whole ignition switch

Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM

So I put a new ignition switch in and so far so good!! No more issues!