Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 monte wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 AM

thank you 03SSLE. when i get done with work im going to dive right into it. im going to go through everything step by step and check and double check everything. taking a day from it and listening to what you and others have said has pointed me in from what i believe is the right direction. again i thank you guys. i will post later how things turned out.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 AM

I know it get suggested a lot, but this time it might actually be the culprit, the BCM. The BCM is what allows the starter to work and the engine to run.

Do your door chimes work? Do auto headlights work? Does RKE work? It might either not be getting power, communication, or just took a dump.

I did head gaskets on a 2006, battery unhooked the entire time. Went to start it, nothing. Luckily I have a Tech2 and MDI and could see the BCM was either dead or not communicating. I checked all my powers, grounds, wake up, high speed LAN, Low speed LAN, etc. Everything checked out good. Talked to the customer and we decided to put a BCM in it. Programmed it up, and it started.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 AM

the head lights are not on the car but the tail lights, and dash lights like to stay on. also the when locked/ unlocked by the fob it doesn,t sound the horn either. i understand what your saying and im not disagreeing with you that it can be the bcm crapped out. but there are two reasons why im checking everything else. one is there are only two dealers in my area that work on chevys and one of them has already left a bad taste in my mouth. two i dont have $700 to drop on a bcm and programing. so you can see my problem. now i dont have problems with the mechanics at dealerships its the middle man i have a problem with.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
So if the radio and BCM info are still the same then what would cause CAL ERR to be displayed? And why would the fuel pump not prime? And why won't the engine crank? What is the common denominator they all require in order to function correctly? These clues lead me to believe that communication between the BCM and the vehicle has been compromised. Focus on the BCM circuit and I think you'll find your problem.
I agree with this logic and Aussie mentioned some good information. That Cal Err has been bugging me thinking it is a "clue" to the problem. I honestly don't know enough about BCM issues and what they can result in causing (other then expensive costs in the part and the programming).

@Aussie - Thanks for the info you provided about my CPS idea. As I side, it was a late night thought that I had not researched, but what you mentioned about the CPS and what both you and 03SSLE mentioned about the BCM all make sense.

I'm still watching this thread wondering what can be learned once the OP find a resolution. Hopefully I have not de-railed any good trains of thought.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM

OP, any chance you know someone with a Tech2 or other high end scan tool? It will be quick to see if you can even "see" the BCM. If you can't, time to troubleshoot why.

At this point there are about 1000 possibilities as to why it wont start.

Try jumping pins 30 and 87 on the starter relay and see if it cranks.

Last edited by aussiek2000; 07-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 AM

sorry i didnt back sooner. life kind of got in the way hahaha. anyhow i checked the fuses and relays. they were in working order. upon looking around the starter i had found a wire that had been pinched and missing its end. turnes out it was a ground wire that went to the trans. car starts........... thanks for the info you guys provided.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by 87iz
...upon looking around the starter i had found a wire that had been pinched and missing its end. turnes out it was a ground wire that went to the trans. car starts........... thanks for the info you guys provided.
Glad to hear you got it started! Sometimes when you've been working on a project for a period of time it becomes easy to overlook something. That's why it's always a good idea to walk away for a few minutes then go back and double check everything.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Glad to hear you got it started! Sometimes when you've been working on a project for a period of time it becomes easy to overlook something. That's why it's always a good idea to walk away for a few minutes then go back and double check everything.
Couldnt agree with you more man! lol

Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That's awesome news!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
OP, any chance you know someone with a Tech2 or other high end scan tool? It will be quick to see if you can even "see" the BCM. If you can't, time to troubleshoot why.

At this point there are about 1000 possibilities as to why it wont start.

Try jumping pins 30 and 87 on the starter relay and see if it cranks.
Hmm, seems like I asked this question. Would have ruled out all possibilities other than power and ground.