Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte Wont Start / Stalled quickly after start last week

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Default Monte Wont Start / Stalled quickly after start last week

FYI

I am the guy who had the car fire, engine replaced with used engine, and most recently rebuilt transmission. Gotta love it.

Now...........car wont start.

The last few weeks it has been acting funky. I would start the car and then it would IMMEDIATELY die/stall out. I started it again, no problem. A week later, same thing happened. Start. Stop. Start again. No problem.

Tonight, the car will not start. It sounds like it "wants" to crank over, but nothing. It does not make a clicking noise.

I am sure it can be a simple batter, alternator, starter. I am sure with my luck and this pain in the *** car, its something more serious that will force me to drop another $500 into it.

Will have the car towed to the dealership tomorrow. Any ideas or questions for me?????

Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigdomvegas
FYI

I am the guy who had the car fire, engine replaced with used engine, and most recently rebuilt transmission. Gotta love it.

Now...........car wont start.

The last few weeks it has been acting funky. I would start the car and then it would IMMEDIATELY die/stall out. I started it again, no problem. A week later, same thing happened. Start. Stop. Start again. No problem.

Tonight, the car will not start. It sounds like it "wants" to crank over, but nothing. It does not make a clicking noise.

I am sure it can be a simple batter, alternator, starter. I am sure with my luck and this pain in the *** car, its something more serious that will force me to drop another $500 into it.

Will have the car towed to the dealership tomorrow. Any ideas or questions for me?????
a few years back my car would do that, where you go to start it and it would fire right up then die, then go to start it the second time and it would start and stay running. and once and awhile it would want to die when i would come up too a stop sign, and since the car was still under warrienty i took it to the chevy dealer and it was the fuel pressure regulator. so i would give that a try.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Could also be a bad connection somewhere like the battery. That's kind of wishful thinking though.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Is the fuel injector pressure regulator easy to replace? I found the part, about $50 bucks so..............

Tried to start it today...........nothing...........clicks......like a starter........but cant be that easy for me.

My gut thinks something is off with the fuel delivery or whatever..........I think this because of the fire back in February. Car wouldnt start. Tried to jump it. Next thing I knew........BANG! Fire!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

could be the fuel pump, which i believe is in the tank itself.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

just read through your first post, and sounds like it would be the fuel pump cutting in and out, possibly just being bad, or a bad connection

to me it seems like it pumps in enough to start for a second and then stops pumping so it wont keep running

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks guys. I will get it to the dealer/service center tomorrow.
Wish I could get it started so I could take it to my guy. Dealer/service center is expensive! They will charge me over $300 for the fuel pump....I can get it for $125.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Guys - please read this website (this is the same thing that happened to my car)

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrol...exploded.shtml

Read #1 - problem blamed on pressure regulator, which is a $55 part at autozone. Can someone please tell me: would this cause it not to start and how do I replace it?

I keep telling everyone that something is wrong with the fuel delivery/system. Noone can find something. I dont want another engine fire. Especially since I just rebuilt the transmission!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 AM

Did you say that when you tried to start the car it just clicked? Like the starter did not engage and turn the engine over and it did not fire?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by bigdomvegas
Guys - please read this website (this is the same thing that happened to my car)

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrol...exploded.shtml

Read #1 - problem blamed on pressure regulator, which is a $55 part at autozone. Can someone please tell me: would this cause it not to start and how do I replace it?

I keep telling everyone that something is wrong with the fuel delivery/system. Noone can find something. I dont want another engine fire. Especially since I just rebuilt the transmission!

Holy bejesus. that is scary. thanks for the link. I have a 2001 MC SS, with 129,000 miles and it is doing the dead battery trick right now! Plus, the last time it ran (several days ago) it was smoking like a chimney from the front exhaust manifold/spark plug area. After reading all this stuff, I'm afraid to even try starting it again!

Quick Reply: Monte Wont Start / Stalled quickly after start last week