Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 monte wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Default 2000 monte wont start

i just replaced the motor in my 2000 monte ss. I cant get it to turn over. starter is good. battery has power and terminals are clean. fuel pump doesnt kick on. radio is also saying "cal err". any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM

Welcome to the MCF.

What did you replace it with ? A rebuilt engine ? a used engine ? Please post what your replacement engine was ?
Did it run before you put it in your Monte ?
Where did you get it ? How many miles were on it ?

Please post as much information about your replacement engine to help our member's help you

Old 07-05-2012, 03:39 PM

3800 series motor from a 2000 buick. motor has 70,000 on it. motor is in good shape. turns over, has compression, replaced lower intake manifold gasket, water pump, plug wires, oil pin, etc. the car has sat for a year. charged the battery and holds a charge. everything lights up just no cranking.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you turn the key to the ON position you should hear the fuel pump prime. If you're not the first thing I'd do would be to double check all my wiring to make sure I didn't accidently forget to hook or tighten something up. Since the car sat for so long you may also need to do a security relearn in order to get it to crank over. Turn the key to the ON position and leave it there for 11 minutes, then turn it to the OFF position for 30 seconds. Repeat this 3 times then try to start the vehicle.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Did you swap a BCM or PCM in this process??? CAL ERR on the radio is sometimes related to a problem with the radio and BCM not communicating properly (it may require a GM Tech II to re-program).

If you swapped the PCM (which you should not have to do so long as the motor going into the car is the same as the one that came out), you may need to do a PCM relearn. If the PCM has an issue, it will prevent either the pump form engaging or the injectors from releasing fuel (I can't remember which).

Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM

I didn't swap the pcm. I've gone through the harness multiple times checking my connections. I'm going to try the relearn process. Thanks for the help guys

Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM

ive eliminated the passlock issue but still won't turn over. where is the bcm located? the gm techII programer, is it a tool or an actual person?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Sorry to read that you are still having problems
Check your starter connections, and make sure there is power to it and that your solenoid is not bad ? or that your starter is not binding & preventing it from turning (?)

Check the below link on your other questions, and also check our MCF search engine & search for problems that may have already been answers by member's...Good Luck 4-Sure
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...ocation-36805/
Click
================================================== =============
GM Tech-2

<TABLE id=ptable><TBODY><TR><TD class=img rowSpan=6></TD><TD class=text>Product NO.: PRT0005 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>Product Name:GM Tech-2,Vetronix GM Tech-2 Scanner</TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>Weight: 12.0 KG</TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>Price: $590 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>Shipping: Calculated at </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
PDF]

Tech 2 User's Guide

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
The Tech 2 User's Guide provides a comprehensive overview of the Tech 2 scan tool. Everything ... Before making a call to the Customer Support Center or GM Dealer Equipment, be sure to have the ..... (For information on this program, refer ...

Last edited by Space; 07-06-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Check your fuses. The one for the fuel pump is located in the upper underhood fuse panel and labeled 'F/PMP RLY'. The one for the ignition is located in the lower underhood fuse panel and labeled 'IGN SW'. Even if the fuses look good check them for continuity. You may also want to check the ignition and fuel pump relays. You can swap out like relays as a test.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM

ive checked the fuses and the starter. ive gone through all the "old school" methods of checking. when i pulled the fuse for the bcm none of the alarms went off. the only two that come up when the fuse was placed back inare low fuel and tcs. theres fuel in it and im sure the tcs is in working order. i just dont want to go to the dealer. the dealer and i have a really bad past hence why i put a new motor in when i shouldn't have had to do it. the pass lock is good. the battery is good. ive gone through it more than 5 times. my radio still flashes a "cal err" and the feeling im getting is if i swap out the bcm i still need to program it.

Quick Reply: 2000 monte wont start