Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 MC SS - Upgrading Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Default 2000 MC SS - Upgrading Brake Pads and Rotors

My OE Rotors warped like crazy ~36,000... then the replacements from STS (before I became a mechanic novice) warped in 10k miles... Nuts to paying them again, they resurfaced them for free...

Front Rotors are warped again (68,000), so this time I'm putting the money (paid ~400 for rotors and pads at STS) into better equipment and doing the trivial work myself.

Brembo Rotors and Pads (not the crazy expensive drilled and cross slotted ones, just regular vented, quality rotors, and quality pads)...

Just wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations or concerns, it seems like (reading online, and have a Haynes manual on the way) a pretty straightforward replacement.

The adjustment on the calipers, can it be done by hand, or do I need a c-clamp or other trick to get things to reset correctly? Just doing the fronts at the moment.

Pointers/Recommendations/Questions welcome.

I should do the brake fluid too... are there any good DiY guides here? I looked but didnt' see much re: brakes!

Looking forward to keeping my MC for a really long time, and picking up a classic MC as well!

Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 AM
Default RE: 2000 MC SS - Upgrading Brake Pads and Rotors

ok there are a bunch of people doing F-body front caliper swaps cause they have the same 12 (11.9 rotors) but better calipers with bigger pads. anything else would need 13" rotors and pads. but those cost a lot and will require more work.

the brembo's sound like a good rotor.

the big question is what kind of pad are you running? it sounds like you are doing some heavy braking for them to warp. if your running ceramic pads, i would say those are the cause for the rotors "warping" i would suggest some PFC carbon metalic pads. i am using greenstuff pads.... the info is on my WWW.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix its under my monte carlo on page 6

im about to upgrade my brakes too.... im going to switch over to your year rotors and make a bracket to adjust my caliper to acomedate the larger rotor. going from 11.25" to 11.9" (12")

Old 03-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Default RE: 2000 MC SS - Upgrading Brake Pads and Rotors

The pad I was running was whatever STS Tire/Auto Service Center put on there. Now that I'm finally getting into my car(s) (Picked up a Honda CRX (1990) to learn on), I want to do some of this simpler stuff myself right on, and learn the bigger stuff (ASE books eventually) as I go/have my Toyota Mechanic friend show me.

The new pads coming in are Ceramic, but of the same class as the rotors, so I hope there would be no problem running them together (purchased both from tirerack). If I get something goofy like warping early on I'll be talking to Brembo, supposedly very good quality products that they stand behind.

I do/did mostly city driving, and if you gingerly accelerate after the light goes green or the person in front of you takes off, everyone else gets very angry/aggressive. No fun. The Monte Carlo will be keeping a low profile for a while though, I just do not like the fact that I am 'afraid' to really apply my brakes on these warp(ing) rotors.

Good Reading info, starting now

*Also, anyone have a DiY Brake fluid change for the 2000? F-body I think it's called.