Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rust protection

Old 03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Default Rust protection

So what is the opinion on rust protection?
Would appreciate some feedback from those who have had it done.
Also
Oil VS rust protect mixtures which seems to be the best option.

Thanks,
GWN

Old 03-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Default RE: Rust protection

Being in the south it's not really a big option. But, I would say that if you live up north where it snows it is a must if you plan to keep your car for any length of time.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM

I would like to say that I only drive My Monte in the summer but it just isn't going to happen.
So you got it. living up north rust protection (underbody coating) is most definitely a must. Especially with all the salt they put down on the road to melt the snow.
Combined with the rust protection a good habit of going to the car wash to keep the salt off helps as well.

The challenge is finding the right place with the right product this is why I asked my original questions.

I am still researching it, from what I can tell most places use a mixture of lubricants and rust inhibitors which is sprayed on with something like a pressure washer.
There is no permanent one time application it is a yearly thing.

One of the draw backs is that there may have to be some small holes drilled in some "inconspicuous" place so that they can get the spray in (i.e. doors).

Still working on this one.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 AM

I'm partial to Chassis Saver. It can be applied with brush or sprayed

POR-15 is another popular alternative. Why would you have to drill anything? You should not be getting water/salt in your doors, and it's also fun to disassemble your doors every couple of years to make sure everything is looking good. =)