Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Brake Pads & Rotors Soundoff!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Brake Pads & Rotors Soundoff!

Let's try to compile forum members' reviews of and experiences with brake pads and brake rotors for their Monte Carlos! This would allow for a long-running, centralized thread on the best performing pads, rotors, and even brake lines or calipers. Rather than settle the age-old debates on ceramic versus metallic pads, drilled/slotted versus flat-faced rotors, etc., we should offer as much information on the products we invested in to save our lives so others can make their own decisions. Feel free to add the prices you paid, the brands and dealers from which you bought them, and other upgrades you may have made.

Thanks to all in advance!!

Last edited by Dubstepticon; 06-12-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stock warps the second they are damp and you brake hard.

I tried the brakemotive slotted and drilled, liked them, but the insides of the rotors broke and ruined my pads and rotor.

I like the Centric Premium rotor. This one has been on my car a long time and still works great! I paired it with Bendix Ceramic pads.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I swapped the pads and rotors that came with my Monte not too long ago with AC Delco Advantage/Performance rotors and Bendix Ceramic brake pads. So far, this combo works GREAT! I admit, I was sad to see the AC Delco rotors were made in China, had I known that, I would not have done it, too many bad experiences with Chinese rotors). But so far, they work GREAT!

When I did this, I also replaced the rubber flew lines with Goodridge braided stainless lines.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 AM

Had EBC dimpled & slotted rotors, thought hey were great. Would buy again in a heartbeat!

EBC green pads. Stopped well but had a good amount of brake dust. Green is the "cheapest" EBC pads, probably should have stepped up but was only a daily driver didn't think more expensive pads made sense at the time. Next time would probably spend a little more.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM

So I just ordered these from Amazon on Friday, and they will arrive on Monday. New front brake pads and rotors kit.

Power Stop K1542 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Power Stop K1542 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Power Stop one-click cross/drilled and slotted rotors and Evolution ceramic pads. Rotors coated against rust. But I will paint wheel hubs black to prevent rust (not coated on hub). They're both brands that are sort of right below top-of-the-line name brand stuff. Not bad. Still sort of like an Ebay kit.

I paid $137.77 because I signed up for a free 30-day Amazon Prime trial. Free 2 day shipping and a couple of other neat benefits. I should be ordering the rear kit soon, but I needed to get the front done to eliminate the noise and shaking so a mechanic good get a better feel for what was going on up front.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM

The new kit came in today! (A day later than my 2-day Amazon Prime shipping was supposed to deliver it....) Boy, everything looks sharp.

Name:  20130625_182101.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  39.1 KB

I'm going to paint the rotor hubs gloss black tomorrow to keep them from rusting as they aren't coated against rust in the same way the rest of the rotor is. This trick will definitely keep them sharp for much, much longer.

Hope everything works as good as it looks. They go on Thursday!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good choice of rotors/pads. I installed front/rear and after broken in the stopping power is a very noticeable improvement and fade is non-existent.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Good choice of rotors/pads. I installed front/rear and after broken in the stopping power is a very noticeable improvement and fade is non-existent.
I'm glad I picked good stuff then!