Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): 1985 Seafoam help....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Default 1985 Seafoam help....?

Mods I want site where this would go as I am just starting out here so please adjust the location as necessary

Hey guys, new here and just posted an intro here.

I've got a new to me 1985 monte carlo. Car runs well for its age but I have no maintenance records other than knowing my father had the oil changed before I took it off his hands. A friend of mine suggested using some sea foam on it to give it a little tlc in a can. I used some in the gas tank as that is easy enough to figure out.

What I need help figuring out is with the carb. Keep in mind I have no idea what I am doing with a car of this age. I thought this car was only carbeurated but after finding a VIN cheat sheet from this wonderful site, my ride is apparently electronically fuel injected. Maybe you pros can figure that out from the pictures. ..

Anyway, I tried pouring a little bit of the treatment into this line here:

vaccum.jpg

I followed the proper instructions and procedures and after restarting the car I had no smoke whatsoever. I refuse to believe that the components were that clean.

So I'm going to try again to get some smoke to come out of this thing by getting rid of the deposits. My question to you guys is where to I add the treatment?

The same vacuum line which is attached and hidden under this piece:

hiddenvaccum.jpg

Or do I need to dump or here (obviously the air filter housing had been removed to get to it):

carb.jpg

Thanks for any help guys. Saw all things seafoam just not for my application and any above or previous overlooked threads would be helpful.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Check the below `Vid,
I hope it helps you > Good Luck
Also, check back on your thread to see what other member's have
done when they used Seafoam...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Space:

Thanks for the quick reply. Quite honestly that it was I had planned on doing and in fact did. I actually saw that video a few weeks or so ago prior to doing anything and after that I think I watched several different Seafoam videos on youtube just to get a glimpse of the process. I found that out of a dozen differnet people you'll find a dozen different methods or forumlas or what nots.....

I took the Monte up to the Advanced Auto to get a gasket and a pcv breather and while I was there I asked the guy to maybe point me in the right direction. I popped the hood and took off the air filter housing and you would have thought I baffled him. He hadnt seen what appeared to be a carb with fuel injectors in it. Much like how I felt when I first looked at it.

Nonetheless, as "Mr. Seafoam" suggest, I did this treatment at the actual PCV Valve vacuum hose. It was a little bit larger in diameter than the previous hose that I have pictured and was a little easier to get to. I actually used a sort of turkey baster plugged in the hose to act as a sort of funnel and slowly poured the juice into the hose that way. I didnt think of it at the time, but next time I will take a photo walk through of the progress.

As did last time, that vacuum hose sucked that stuff right up. I think, in all reality, both hoses go to the same spot (just that one is a little larger). I got some serious sputtering of the engine as it drank up and was hoping I would get a different result. Just as I was putting in the last of it, I noticed a little bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust but nothing "EXTREME". So I thought I was going to see a different result. I cut off the engine per the directions, waited 5 minutes, fired it right up, and NO smoke....again.

Could this engine *REALLY* be that clean???? I'm still skeptical. At any rate, I noticed a little bit of a difference and a little smoother ride as last time, and poured the rest in the gas tank.

Like I said, next time I'll try to get a photo shoot going of the process. For now, it seems like I'm not going to get any crazy smoke screens going.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've found that you don't always get a ton of smoke when sea foam or any a top end clean. I a olds with around 300k an was ran with out oil for a long time that never smoked when I sea foamed it. I don't think my monte smoked either. But the monte's engine was spotless when I got her.