General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Seafoam

Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Seafoam

So recently I've been thinking about seafoaming my engine. I'm at about 162,000 miles, and never seafoamed before. I've been reading a lot about it, and some places have said on such an old engine it may not be worth it to seafoam it, but I feel that it should be worth it even more! I have noticed a loss in power, and my idle is rough even after a tune-up, so I was thinking of trying out the seafoam (once I find a place to actually do it)

Wondering who here on the boards has done it before (I have searched and came up with some threads from 2007) Would like more recent members to talk about their experience.

Also I was wondering if anyone could take a shot of the brake booster vacuum line so I knew which one to use.

Also I was wondering if you do 1/2 can in the vacuum line, and 1/2 can in the fuel do you have to worry about changing your oil right away, like when you do the 1/3 can to the vacuum, 1/3 can to the oil, and 1/3 to the fuel. Because if I seafoam the car, I don't think I'll be able to get to the oil right away.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM

..Hi Mike, Everyone I know that has used it...swears by it & worth the investment. Below is a 14 min vid on Seafoam., Hope it helps.
I'm sure other member's that have used it will post & hopefully be able to anwser your ?'s Good `Luck.

Sea Foam Sales - Motor Treatment/Deep Creep/Trans Tune/Bugs-B-Gone ...

Sea Foam Sales - the Choice of Mechanics for over 50 years.
www.seafoamsales.com/ - Cached - Similar
Motor Treatment - Sea Foam

SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively ... SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine ...
www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html - Cached - Similar
<LI class="g s">Sea Foam Usage Video

14 min - Feb 22, 2006 -

How to Use Sea Foam Products
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6187290865726229173

Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 PM

15 Year Member

I saw the how-to video, but I was really wondering if the oil change right away was necessary if I skip the 1/3 can into the oil part. And I don't know the correct vac line to use :-[

Old 07-07-2009, 02:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Mike. Use the line thats going to your brake booster (that big round thing your master cylinder connects to ). You might need help cause if you take it out, its going to create a huge vacuum leak and it might want to shut the car down.

Then slowly pour in the Seafoam. Turn you car off for a min or 2. Then turn it back on and watch the smoke show. LOL

I would change the oil cause a little might get past the rings. Better safe then sorry.

I did it my car and it ran much better afterwards.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM

15 Year Member

Well... I'm going to get my oil changed next month, so maybe I'll talk to my dad about doing it up near him. I have to get some other work done on the car so I'm having my mechanic do the oil change while he has it... Maybe I can make a later appointment and seafoam the car (1/3 vacuum, 1/3 oil, save 1/3 for gas) in the morning and then drive it HARD to the mechanics (~25 miles) and swap out all the oil... then fill up the car with gas/seafoam on the way home (should be around 1/4 tank by then)

Does that sound like it would be an effective way to seafoam?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Is this like a recommended procedure to do, like every 30K miles or something, or just if needed?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM

15 Year Member

It depends on your driving really. If you do a lot of highway etc you shouldn't have much carbon build-up. But being my car is well over 150k and I do mostly city driving and short trips now, I feel like I'm bogged and need to do it.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use it in the gas once a year, and then drive that tank hard. "drive it like you stole it".

Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM

what i would do is change the pluge run seafoam and then change the oil because it wont burn corectly. through the fuil system i have ran it when i first got my monte and it had 30k on it and didnt know how it was driven so change plugs run it and do oil

Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 AM

15 Year Member

Dropped seafoam into my gas tank (1/4 full and filled it up) and took it out on highways and such. On my way home I got a check engine light. I haven't had a chance to take it to get the code read, can seafoam just in my gas tank cause a CEL or am I running a coincidence that sucks? lol

I think I'm gonna stop by Advance today and look at picking up my Haynes manual for my car finally and look at getting the code read / deleted.

For $20 is the Haynes a good book?

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 07-13-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam